PDA

View Full Version : Procharger for 25 Daytona?

Garry
08-27-2000, 07:43 PM
If any body has any info on what can be expected from a prochager on a 502 mpi that is completly stock right now? Also what to expect if i were go to a stage 2 system. I am looking for real world advice and not the hype you get from the sale staff at these companys.Would purchase complete kit with intercooler.Thanks

Laveyman
09-03-2000, 01:07 AM
I had narrowed my search for a blower down to the Procharger, Whipple, and Vortech offerings. I was deadset on putting one on my boat in the near future. I went down to Quality Peformance Marine in Corona, CA and asked them for their advice. They are about as honest and level-headed as they come in the marine mechanic industry. They deal almost exclusively with the high-performance boat industry, and are EFI wizards. This is a summary of what I was told:
1. They will not even touch any motor that has a Whipple or Procharger on it. They went so far to say that the Procharger is a 'ticking time bomb.' The Whipple didn't fair much better.
2. They will install B&M or Vortech systems only. But, before they will do it, you get their standard "supercharger" speech. Rob, the owner, took about an hour to explain how each of the different blower systems work, thier ups and downs, risks, etc. After his in-depth "class", I must say he changed my mind on installing a blower all together! It really took the wind out of my sails about installing a blower!
Although they will sell and install blowers, even they don't recommend them. They recommend either installing the Vortech's MaxFlow EFI Power Pack, or save up your money and buy an HP 500 EFI.
Before you go out and buy a blower system, you ought to stop by or give Rob a call. (909) 735-5503. Then you can make an informed decision that you won't later regret.

Steve
09-08-2000, 05:10 PM
Garry,
I replied to you on the other message. Laveyman talked to Rob at Quality Performance. I too talked to him. In fact, he fixed my 502 under warranty before I installed my ProCharger. (had an oval valve seat from Merc) Anyway...he tried to talk me out of the Procharger as well. I did it anyway because of having other friends with Prochargers. Other than buying an Eliminator, it was the best thing I did. The boat is a completely different boat with the Procharger. I now have approx. 50 hours on the motor since I installed the Procharger and would do it all over again. I worry more about the drive than anything else, but when it does break (and I know it eventually will), I'll upgrade it to HD shafts, etc. My boat starts and idles like it did when it was stock, but what a difference at mid range and top end! I went from 70 MPH to 94 MPH. Procharger told me for dependability, stay with the Stage 1 on a stock motor. Go ahead and do it!!!!!

Garry
09-08-2000, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info steve,does anybody else have anymore experience that they can pass on before i spend the money?

elimnatr
09-11-2000, 04:45 PM
Dear Garry Recently we have put on or third procharger on our third boat. The pro-charger can be safe but it all depends on how you drive your boat. Dont be suprised when you blow drives though because it is destine to happen depending on how you drive. Honestly I do believe that procharger makes a quality product but dont depend on them .Buy your blower from a dealer not direct it will be cheaper and they will no what to exspect as far as problems that will occur.
p.s our buddy is running 105 radar with his procharged daytona

Garry
09-11-2000, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I contacted pro charger about the purchase,but i will check a couple of dealers also thanks.