PDA

View Full Version : whipple/procharger

27 warlock
01-25-2002, 09:28 AM
I have a 2000 27 warlock with the 385H.P. 454 mpi , boat has been a best of 68 on GPS in a pretty good chop , looking for mid 80's out of it . Considering the the whipple or the procharger , have heard alot about both systems but am still unsure if either would offer any clear advantage on my boat , just want the least hassle and most reliable set-up out there , was figureing 5 to 6 #'s boost on either one . Has anyone got a similar set up and if so are the speeds I am looking for seem obtainable , only mod to boat now is Stainless Marine exhaust ,the other option I thought about is maybe heads and a cam , any suggestions would help greatly........

Cat & Mice
01-25-2002, 12:59 PM
27 Warlock, We are putting a set of Whipples on a 31 Formula w454's and we are changing the heads. Alum. heads make a big diff. with blown motors becaus they disapate heat better and you can run more boost without detination.
As far as the Pro vs. Whip. I can only comment on the Whipple and I have had very very good results, not only power increase but drivabilty and rielabilty. I belive (strongly) that Whipple makes the most complete system.
Pyle

27 warlock
01-25-2002, 01:22 PM
the main concern I have with the whipple is I have heard the can put alot of strain on the outdrive , should my stock one be up to the task or is there some precautions I should take if I choose the whipple ,
thanks alot

Bill in Las Vegas
01-26-2002, 06:01 PM
[27 Warlock . Please read my comments in the Whipple for 7.4 previous thread.

Whipple Charged
01-26-2002, 09:54 PM
27 Warlock,
Cat and Mice has a buddy that installed one on his 502 27 Warlock, he might be able to help you out.
I've done a few myself, but all 502 Mags, boats run really well and always run in the mid 80's. We did one that had a 500HP cam, our billet throttle body, lower compression and it ran mid 90's but was a handful so they slowed the boost down to control it.
Thanks,
Dustin

27 warlock
01-27-2002, 01:51 PM
whipple charged
With the whipple charger would a decent set of aftermarket heads help out at all, I was looking at the alum. edelbrock performer rpm heads and adding roller rockers just to try to make it a little safer in the upper rpm range , as well as hopefully gain a few more h.p. ... or are there any other heads you might recommend , maybe even a head/cam combo that would work really well , my goal is mid 80's but also be as reliable as possible , thanks alot for your help

James'SS-24
01-27-2002, 02:09 PM
Dustin, When will the system for the new 496 be ready for market? I called your place the other day and while the guy was helpfull he didn't have a lot on info. thanks James http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
[This message has been edited by James'SS-24 (edited January 27, 2002).]

Whipple Charged
01-28-2002, 07:33 PM
27warlock,
You can certainly change heads, although I wouldn't recommend the Edelbrock's. Dart Pro One's and Brodix -3 heads all work well.
Another idea, you can install the 500 HP EFI camshaft, change exhaust to CMI, and put our 500 HP EFI kit on and can back it down and make enough power for 80+ all day long. You'll have a 500 HP, capability of 700+hp. If you want the heads too, then you can add some more ponies, but the problem is that it needs new computer programming, as the VE of the engine is changed when the heads are changed. This is not the biggest deal, but needs to be addressed.
The 496 system should be available in March, the final calibration (ECU) is in the works. We've just been so busy, we have not had time to finish all the castings, instructions, etc. but have been back on it lately.
Thanks,
Dustin

BADASS1938CHEVY
01-28-2002, 08:48 PM
500efi with vortec supercharger is this a good combo,if serviced regulary how many hours can you get out of engine?

BADASS1938CHEVY
01-28-2002, 08:49 PM
500efi with vortec supercharger is this a good combo,if serviced regulary how many hours can you get out of engine?

James'SS-24
01-29-2002, 03:15 PM
Thanks Dustin. Should I get on the waiting list? James

In2Deep
01-29-2002, 04:34 PM
I've been wondering...
Generally speaking, what should I expect to pay for all necessary parts and labor for a whipple installation..on a new 496 Mag HO (once a whipple is available for this motor)?
Thanks

Whipple Charged
01-29-2002, 10:34 PM
badass,
You should be able to get 400-500 hours. I'm not sure if Vortech's 500 system is even available yet though, might want to give them a call.
James, maybe you could fax or email me contact info, dustin@whipplesuperchargers.com. Were keeping a list of people to contact to let them know a few weeks in advance.
In2deep, if it helps, we charge $1000 for installation. This does not include gauges or hatch mods (shouldn't need them), water pickups, etc.
Thanks,
Dustin