PDA

View Full Version : Weight Displacement

jackpunx
05-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Hey Guys,
Been thinking about upgrading my system... I have a Stoker SST 224 mod VP.. Its a good performing boat.. I like that best about it.. The boat is really weight sensitive.
its 22' long.
Right now I have two 10's up in the bow, a couple of separates on the bulkhead.. (to far up to sound good) and a couple of Alpine marine speakers behind the front seats..and a couple of amps
I want to bump it up with either two more 12's or replace the 10's with 12's
and add some 6x9's where ever they will fit..
right now between all the amps and speakers.. Its like carrying a small person..
I like the way my system sounds now.. if Im in the boat.. with out the motor running..
Any suggestions on placement of speakers, weight trade off's?
Has anyone put this type of system in a similar boat?..
thanks in advance
Mark

riverbound
05-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Mark,
We have the older 22 sst and in it we have 46x9s and two twelves in the back behind the seat (outboard). after this weekend I am going to move the woofers up front. I will be building fiberglass enclosures in the sponsons (to save weight). The interior of yours is a little different so post pics of the interior and I can maybe give you better advice. I also mounted one pair of 6x9s on the bulkhead right under the dash and one pair on the wall behind the front seats.
I did run it one weekend with the woofers up fornt to see if it would hurt performance any with the weight up front and did not notice any difference thats why I am going to permanently move them up front.

ROZ
05-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
Mark,
I will be building fiberglass enclosures in the sponsons (to save weight).
Cool... a working Manager who actually knows how to make the "brown Shake"... Your wife must love it when you come home smelling like fiberglass resign...lol

riverbound
05-26-2004, 03:33 PM
She likes it even more when she finds fiberglass strands stuck in the couch:D

77charger
05-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Its hard to have both speed and sound without giving up one or the other.I say add the stereo stuff.You can just add more hp to compensate right?
As they say there is always someone louder and faster.:(

jackpunx
05-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by riverbound
Mark,
We have the older 22 sst and in it we have 46x9s and two twelves in the back behind the seat (outboard). after this weekend I am going to move the woofers up front. I will be building fiberglass enclosures in the sponsons (to save weight). The interior of yours is a little different so post pics of the interior and I can maybe give you better advice. I also mounted one pair of 6x9s on the bulkhead right under the dash and one pair on the wall behind the front seats.
I did run it one weekend with the woofers up fornt to see if it would hurt performance any with the weight up front and did not notice any difference thats why I am going to permanently move them up front.
thats the way I have it set up now.. I but I have 10's in the front.. I was holding one of the 12's and those folkers are heavy.. and the speakers on the bulk head sound great if your sitting in the boat.. but you loose the high's when you stand up..:D
PS.. thanks for the reply..

jackpunx
05-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by 77charger
Its hard to have both speed and sound without giving up one or the other.I say add the stereo stuff.You can just add more hp to compensate right?
As they say there is always someone louder and faster.:(
Yea.. Unfortunatly that will alway's be the case.. As far as the HP.. its the drive im worried about.. I would rather be faster then loud.. but If I can have both.. all I have to do is make room for a stirpper pole:D

riverbound
05-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by jackpunx
thats the way I have it set up now.. I but I have 10's in the front.. I was holding one of the 12's and those folkers are heavy.. and the speakers on the bulk head sound great if your sitting in the boat.. but you loose the high's when you stand up..:D
PS.. thanks for the reply..
I have a solution for that also. Removable speaker pods.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_137-med.jpg

jackpunx
05-27-2004, 08:41 AM
Thats brilliant.. :D
Now I have to add the 12's
I'll have to catch up w you on that one.. dont want to mess with it till after OP6
Can I have 4 of those.. and the 4 speakers I have now.. keep the 2 10's and add two 12's and still run on two batteries?

jackpunx
05-27-2004, 08:44 AM
that option just made it make sense in my boat.. But a reality check is needed...
Do you really think its over kill for a small boat that likes to go over 100?
Would you do it to yours?

riverbound
05-27-2004, 09:03 AM
You will only need one set of those pods because there are speakers on the front and back. I am in the process of trying to buy my parents stoker Right now and once it is mine I will do these pods on it. you will be fine on the 2 batts. these will have to be removed for those 100mph passes.

Jetdriver
06-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Why not take out the entire system and get a band of midgets to just play you tunes when you want and when you want to make a speed run just leave them on shore or in a tube. :D

ROZ
06-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Why not take out the entire system and get a band of midgets to just play you tunes when you want and when you want to make a speed run just leave them on shore or in a tube. :D
Is there sucha thing as Miget Mariachis ? :D

Jetdriver
06-09-2004, 11:52 AM
LOL!

jackpunx
06-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Dont mess with my midgets Shawn!:D
why dont you have one of them drive your boat ... this way you can get it to 70..:D

Jetdriver
06-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
Dont mess with my midgets Shawn!:D
why dont you have one of them drive your boat ... this way you can get it to 70..:D
LMAO!!!! I kinda want to be the one going that fast! To be honest I have started my diet again today, I lost a lot last time so hopefully it will work for me again.

jackpunx
06-09-2004, 12:30 PM
it will work.. :D

Jetdriver
06-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence! :D