PDA

View Full Version : whipple or procharger

Jungle Boy
10-28-2001, 10:06 AM
I am planning to order a supercharger for a 383 ci SBC stroker motor (the motor is strong, so I am only interested in the supercharger part). It will be installed as the play motor in a Eagle 19' aluminum riverboat with jet drive. I plan on turning about 5600 RPM. This is not the race motor but will be ran hard. I have seen problems with procharger and whipples in other friends boats. Some are mounting problems, belt life and some are bearing failures. Can any of you guys who have run these units share some experience with a first time supercharger user. Thanks
J.B.

Unchained
10-28-2001, 03:56 PM
I can't speak about the Procharger but I have run blowers, nitrous and turbos on different toys and the turbos were the most impressive for ultimate power and reliability. I seen a guy at a huge car show in Mi. with a similar engine to your's in a prostreet S-10 pickup .
He had one big turbo on it and dynoed 1050 hp. He stomped a guy with a 6-71 blown big block Camaro.

superdave013
10-28-2001, 06:34 PM
I like the whipples. I know a guy that did lots of testing for them in his GN boat. He works full time for them now! I just think that the screw blowers are the best tech you can by now. I just wish I had the money for one when I was racing!

formula93
10-30-2001, 11:54 AM
Procharger all the way!!!
The centrifugal type chargers do not put as much stress on your engine & drives as do the positive displacement types (whipples, bds, etc). It is rare that anyone damages a drive with a Procharger or vortec as the power is built mostly on the top end rather than immediately off idle (it's more progressive). Also, the centrifugal are more efficient at high rpm than the positive displacement types & do not have as much parasitic drag. I have two full, hard driving seasons on my procharger running 7# of boost, & have had no troubles of any kind. Maybe there was a problem with some others with attention to detail like proper setup of the carb or injectors or ecm's. Mine has been flawless. My .02

Havasu Hangin'
10-30-2001, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by formula93:
...as the power is built mostly on the top end rather than immediately off idle
The downside is to try to get a 100MPH boat on plane with a 32" prop, and less bottom end torque. http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/confused44.gif
Got calendar?
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

DEL51
10-31-2001, 12:34 AM
Hello Jungleboy,I did my own research on the subject and spoke to a few experts before ending up with the standard roots type blower.Are you going to use fuel injection? The centrifugal blowers work best with electronic fuel injection,same for the turbo's.Cost is a major consideration? I chose the roots type,"littlefield"due to ease of installation,cost,and availability of parts.The turbo sounds like the ultimate setup but cost is a major drawback.The centrifugal blowers make alot of noise,at least in the dyno room.If you are going to use carburators, I would go with the roots type.I would not worry about the amount of power the drive can handle.A good modern jet drive can take over a thousand horsepower with ease.Torque rules when it comes to jet drives and this is where the simple roots blower really shines.Right off idle,it starts building boost.The centrifugal needs to be spun up to produce the boost.Good Luck and have fun!DEL51

Jungle Boy
10-31-2001, 03:52 AM
I thank you all for your input. I will be running a carb and am not worried about the noise. (I wear ear plugs and gives the fly fishermen more warning that I'm coming) I am totaly torn between the two now!! The engine builder has a rebuilt pro-charger on his shelve and is willing to bring in a whipple, so maybe we can dyno each one and see which one has the best specs.

kab
10-31-2001, 06:48 AM
Took the new mach 26 for a test ride on thursday. It has a 502 efi with a whipple on it. I was very impressed with the performance. It easily ran 72 on gps @4100rpm with a 28 bravo I prop.