PDA

View Full Version : magneto vs mallory unilite

flattie
01-26-2002, 04:58 PM
I have been running a mallory unilite in my big block for the last 2 years with no problems. Now that I have this new blower moter I'm wondering if I should put my magneto in the engine.
your thoughts count
Rick

superdave013
01-26-2002, 07:41 PM
I ran mags for years and liked them. Uh, that's until I tried an MSD.
The good thing about mags is you don't need a charging system. But once you go MSD you won't go back.

SK48
01-26-2002, 08:04 PM
I run a mag in my Biesemeyer flatbottom, no charging system, but it is hard to beat the new technology. MSD etc. is the new way to go. Building a turbo motor for my Hallett and will use MSD for sure.

RumRunner
01-27-2002, 04:58 AM
MSD is the only way to go!!!

01-27-2002, 06:04 AM
I vote for the MSD also. The HP it takes to turn a mag at the higher rpms is rough on cam/dist. gears and should be checked regulary. With the MSD you will need a good alternator as it draws alot of current.

LOWRIVER2
01-27-2002, 06:09 PM
I know majority of racers are running MSD with success. Is there a worry about an MSD as far as failure (more varibles with MSD) at speed? A magneto would seem less likely to cut on the track. I've been told this by magneto users, any truth to it or pure fiction?
LowRiver

superdave013
01-27-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by LOWRIVER2:
I know majority of racers are running MSD with success. Is there a worry about an MSD as far as failure (more varibles with MSD) at speed? A magneto would seem less likely to cut on the track. I've been told this by magneto users, any truth to it or pure fiction?
LowRiver
Well, a Winston Cup nascar has two boxes in it. They don't do it for the extra weight so there must be some truth to it. So far so good with my set up but if I was racing for that kind of money I would have a back up too.

LOWRIVER2
01-27-2002, 07:43 PM
I'm sorry SuperDave,
I was referring to NJBA, good to hear about the cars though. I was concerned about going swimming when a tunnel drops into the water and makes a hard turn if the motor were to cut.
LR
P.S.
How's the boat coming?

superdave013
01-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by LOWRIVER2:
I'm sorry SuperDave,
I was referring to NJBA, good to hear about the cars though. I was concerned about going swimming when a tunnel drops into the water and makes a hard turn if the motor were to cut.
LR
P.S.
How's the boat coming?
Boat is coming along. Droped it off at Havasu Barney's shop for some new gelcoat this weekend.
I would be worried about going swimming when the engine cuts out too. That's why I'll always have a rudder and prop (with relase) under me.

LOWRIVER2
01-28-2002, 04:50 PM
Sounds good SD, looking forward to seeing the finished product. Yeah, the v drive is a safer ride in a power lockout but I'm just partial to jets, sounds like the mag might be best ticket for a racing jet application as less room for trouble when the power stops without warning. I know some of the fastest jets (J.Hicks/Hot Tub) use the MSD though.
LR

BOOSTDADDY
01-28-2002, 06:56 PM
Flattie, send that Mag to a Museum! They don't like to start..not enough cranking speed! you have to run a short plug gap to get them to work, something like .017-.020. You would be better off with an MSD very reliable these days. The MSD is very sensitive to Battery Voltage, you just need a good battery and alternator.

Sangster
01-28-2002, 08:57 PM
We run MSD7AL2 with crank trigger in both our boats. Never had a problem. Had a mag setup originally and we had problems. We went through a hell of a lot of spark plugs (fouling) with the mag. At least with the MSD System it will start so you can check jetting, timing, plugs, ect. Also your fuel presure & carbs & float levels have to be right on "before" you start it up or its problems, while the MSD fires on the first revolution... everytime. Its money well spent

DEL51
01-29-2002, 12:05 AM
I am curious about the new 12 amp MSD magneto.If magnetos were old tech then why would msd produce one? There must be something appealing.They also produce a 44 amp mag for top fuel.I would like to talk to msd about this.If anyone has the answers,please inform me. thanks