PDA

View Full Version : Oil blowby

Cole
12-15-2001, 01:46 PM
I have a problem with my 509ci blower motor built by R&D marine in santa ana new current jet tech.It shoots oil out the breather caps by the buckets!!! Its makes a real mess all over the motor and actually caused a little fire to errupt on the block.Is this too much compression or do i just need a puch tank??Any thoughts would be appreciated... Cole

boatnam2
12-15-2001, 02:07 PM
oh no cole,blow by is not good.there is a foam peice that goes in the breather tower that might help,but i had a brand new blower motor and it started doing the same thing due to two holes in the pistons.not a good thing.maybe your clearance isnt that good.hopefully it is something simple.

Clutch
12-15-2001, 04:46 PM
Yes blow by is not cool.Either your rings
didn't seat or you have extra holes where they shouldn't be or you have a or some broke rings. Do a leak down test on the motor or first do a comp. test.

Unchained
12-15-2001, 04:59 PM
Cole, I had that problem because my aftermarket valve covers did not have any baffles in the top of the valve covers. There was just a hole that you jammed the breather into. I made a couple basic baffles and tack welded them with a TIG welder into the top of the valve covers and it helped immensely. I also have a remote tank because they look cool. You know, the more polished alum and braided wire hose the better.

superdave013
12-15-2001, 05:04 PM
Alot of it has to do with the type and placement of the breathers.
The covers in the top pic did not leak at all. The covers in the second pic puked all over.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/008/m2/Yz/QA/5H42664.jpg
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/033/RY/Lh/fP/U273984.jpg

Clutch
12-15-2001, 05:13 PM
Hey Super
Why did the bottom one's leak so bad?

superdave013
12-15-2001, 05:46 PM
Because they suck I guess. lol
They came on a new to me used boat. It was an instant mess. Swapped them out and all was good. On the top set I put the breather up high in the middle of the cover. The bolt is a bitch to get at. If I ever do it again I would put the breather high and between the frist and second bolts.

Infomaniac
12-15-2001, 05:50 PM
Cole: You need to leak down compression test that engine. I have even seen valve guides so bad, blow by shot the dip stick out. Once you figure out which cylinder/s, then find out the cause. Do make sure the breathers have some type of element

Snowboat
12-15-2001, 06:37 PM
I have the breathers in the second picture and don't have any problems, but there is one on each side, and they are to the bow end of the rocker lever covers.

Flat Screwd
12-16-2001, 09:06 PM
I feel that all blower motors will have some to a lot of blow by depending on boost. But for oil control the puke tank works the best.For best results mount it as high as you can. Also too you might want to restrict the amount of oil to the top end by using restricted push rods. You only need enough to lube everything and cool the springs. Total submersion of your valve trian is not necessary. Just somthing to consider.

MrHavasuCat
12-17-2001, 04:22 PM
My blown 510 will mist a little oil on the engine if I run it at high rpm's/boost for a while. I noticed this after running a 20 mile leg in a poker run. Just for everyday boating including short full throttle runs it stays pretty dry. I have the same breathers as superdave.
[This message has been edited by MrHavasuCat (edited December 17, 2001).]

Cole
12-17-2001, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the info!!First of all,the first time i ran it at elsinore i had noticed the oil got milky cloudy and smoking out the breathers,water in the oil,thought if i tightened down the heads it should help.we did ,helped a little,but still had the reacurring problem of water in the oil,and oil blowing out the breathers like CRAZY.we've tried different breathers, and different locations, didn't work,still had the problem,the boat ran ok for one trip to parker, but just had to be very very easy on it while we broke it in.My next trip to parker is when everything went south,(thank "GOD" for road rappers),we blew a head gasket and cracked three pistons there was MAJOR water in the oil too the point that it was foaming out the breathers and all over the boat,This was not a hard run maybe 5200 for 5-10 seconds.Motor is being rebuilt now but i am getting blamed for not retightening the heads!!!!any thoughts Cole

superdave013
12-17-2001, 10:00 PM
Don't just re-torque the heads. Do the intake manifold too. I've seen them come loose and leak more than heads! But it sounds as if you had something other than a breather problem for sure. Good luck on the next round.
When running in cold water a little milk will form in the top end. That's just condensation from the cold water and the hot head. But if you've got milk on the dip stick you've got troubles.

sgdiv7
12-18-2001, 06:20 AM
Hey Cole, I have a few questions. What head gaskets are you using? How many lbs. of boost? Timing-how many degs? Octane of fuel? If this is a jet boat? if so what water psi. are you running in the motor? I really can't see having to retighten headgaskets if they were done right the first time. Was there evidence of detonation? I guess I could go on for ever on this.
On the blower motor I built and have been running the hell out of it for a year now, I used copper head gaskets and put sealer arround water passages. No problems yet with 15 lbs of water psi. in block.
Bill

boatnam2
12-18-2001, 08:45 AM
he cole you didn't happen to have that motor built in corona did you.

Cole
12-18-2001, 08:56 AM
NO R@D marine in santa ana!!!!Harold Bruce

boatnam2
12-18-2001, 08:56 AM
hey cole one other thing that is bullshit about retighting the head bolts that motor was built shitty.some of these ****ing marine shops that think there big time motor builders and talk a big game send all there shit out to have it built who knows who the **** builds it whats in it and the shit dont last and ofcourse they blame it on the boat owner cause he dont know what the **** he's doing or he would of built the motor himself.this is a very sore subject with me.im not going to go all crazy dropping names because its behind me im getting a new boat and hopefully it will be trouble free.but be careful where you have your motor built.clay smith built mine i ran 14# boost in a 26ft cat and never even tightened a valve cover bolt.i backed down the valves during the winter and taht was it.

Cole 383
12-18-2001, 04:10 PM
Cole,
It sounds like you had some other problems with your motor. Water in the oil is very common with copper gaskets. Try some K&N block seal, it works great. That is when you get it patched up.

superdave013
12-18-2001, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2:
hey cole one other thing that is bullshit about retighting the head bolts that motor was built shitty.some of these ****ing marine shops that think there big time motor builders and talk a big game send all there shit out to have it built who knows who the **** builds it whats in it and the shit dont last and ofcourse they blame it on the boat owner cause he dont know what the **** he's doing or he would of built the motor himself.this is a very sore subject with me.im not going to go all crazy dropping names because its behind me im getting a new boat and hopefully it will be trouble free.but be careful where you have your motor built.clay smith built mine i ran 14# boost in a 26ft cat and never even tightened a valve cover bolt.i backed down the valves during the winter and taht was it.
George at Clay Smith has always great work for me too. No copper head (leakers) gaskets in the blown engines comming out of his shop.

nytro43
01-05-2002, 09:51 AM
flathead screws built a complete blowby kit for my hawaiian jet boat.It is a custom hand fabricated aluminum tank all braided S/steel lines,and custom valve cover adapters.It has totally eliminated any oil loss from the top end of my 12to1 bbc.Will try to post pics if I can.Maybe a setup like this could cure your problems to.

Little Wood Boat
04-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Well guys, what's the final answer on oil blow-by and blower motors. I just started having this problem recently. Cole, did you get your problem solved? lwb

riodog
04-21-2002, 09:16 PM
Cole, the first thing you did wrong was neglect to check with the BBB about good old Harold! The second thing was that you had him do the work! You're damn lucky you even got a motor back let alone one that would even start once or twice! Hell, I didn't even get all of my parts and pieces back when I made the mistake of walking into his shop about 10 years ago. I'm not gonna get into too much of a pissing contest here but this rag didn't do their homework very well either or they would never have given good buddy Harold a "platform" with which he would have access to any more "victums"!
Harold leaves something to be desired as a businessman.
ENOUGH, of this BS, you didn't say if your ride was a jet, outdrive, etc., or did Imiss something?
Riodog aka M.W.Fulton

77charger
04-26-2002, 06:48 PM
Was out at havasu this past wekend and blown sleek had the same problem only he had water come out the breathers.His motor was filled with water to the top motor was freshly done with all new parts and done by an engine builder up there i wont name him but if blown sleek sees this maybe he will.
Ps i wont name him because i have never had work done there (i do all my own)and dont feel like starting a piss match too.

jdelo
05-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Cole,
I have the same problem. Brand new rebuilt whipple charged 509. The weekend before the heat wave poker run, I took the boat out ran great. put about 1 hour on it on Sunday. Monday week of the poker run, took boat over to the EFI expert here in AZ remapped the ECU. Picked the boat up on thursday. left for Havasu on friday. launched Sat. morning not even a mile away from the dock oil pressure dropped to 20lbs smoke coming from engine compartment. OIl all over the place. Blew the breather right off. Took the boat over to the person who built the motor. He did a leak down and compression check all cyl checked out except #4 zero compression. I should know something today. I have the EGT probe mounted in the #4 cyl. temps reading 1250.

eliminator777
05-05-2002, 06:09 AM
Super dave is right .If you have that much blow by it's to much pressure inside motor.it dosn't matter where you put the breathers. Welcome to the your a dumb ****ing boat owners club! I live in havasu and i see piles of junk shit stacked up every where it's almost funny . Most of these guys know how to take it out of a box not check it just run it . What I think is truely funny it's the 10-10 warntee 10 feet or 10 seconds after you pay the bill.Whats truely funnyis watching people dumb enough go back be told how they screwed it up and they pay more money.

Blown Sleek
05-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Not to take away from the dumb fn boat owner thing buy can I be the president? I second that opinion!