Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: H-beam..I-beam

Fired Up
    Which is considered the stronger rod? Assuming both are steel is there one that is considered "better"? I don't know enough about rod design or dynamics.

BGMAN203
    I think H beams are stronger.

This may not be true and i could be misinformed, i'm no expert but if i recall correctly H beam rods are suppose to be better for FI builds where I beams are better for NA applications.

BGMAN203
    When you say FI build, what do you mean?? Fuel Injection??
    I assume when you say NA build you mean carbs and not blowers, turbos or NOS?

Infomaniac
    I cannot speak for the design, but the stronger rods are "I" beam.
    Would have to ask the mfg's why they choose "I" beams for the stronger ones.

I-beams are stronger. I have had this discussion with French Grimes and Kirk Jager on different occasions. It has to due to the transfer of stress to the pin area as the rpm increases. Both say H-beams are fine for lower rpm, under 6000, and are a fine choice. For blown and turbo applications they both have said an I-beam would be the rod of choice.
    Chris

superdave013
    Are my Carrillos are H or I beams?
    What ever they are they are some tuff mofo's. I think I'll keep 'em.

INEEDAV
    I thought that the h-beam rods were generally rated for more horsepower than the I-beam. Now I am confused .

Most of what the general racing population sees is the forged I-beam stuff, and yes it is rated lower. When you get into the billet stuff is where the I-beams get the 1000 HP ratings or more.
    Most of you realise who I work for and that we do the majority of the Cup stuff. We get fully assembled Cup short blocks all the time for checking clearances for pan fabrication. These engines contain I beam rods. At 830HP at 9500 rpm for 500 miles, I would call that an endorsement for I-beams.
    Chris

INEEDAV
    Originally posted by cstraub69
    Most of what the general racing population sees is the forged I-beam stuff, and yes it is rated lower. When you get into the billet stuff is where the I-beams get the 1000 HP ratings or more.
    Most of you realise who I work for and that we do the majority of the Cup stuff. We get fully assembled Cup short blocks all the time for checking clearances for pan fabrication. These engines contain I beam rods. At 830HP at 9500 rpm for 500 miles, I would call that an endorsement for I-beams.
    Chris
    Chris
    When rods experience catastrophic failure, where is the primary location of the falure?
    Billy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast