Thread: egt setup

eliminatya
    had a thread up but i guess it got lost when the site went down. what do you guys think is the best/ most economical way to monitor egt(analog guage, computech, or other)? also i was wondering if it is ok to take the reading from the collector, since i have lightnings with1/4npt ports in the collectors. thanx sam.

Fiat48
    I don't know of any that would read correctly going into a collector. I use a computech on every blown deal I build and have had excellent results. They locate the probe about 1 inch out of the exhaust port. They make weld in bungs or there is a clamp on deal that only requires a small hole to be drilled in the head pipe.

eliminatya
    that what i was afraid of, don't really want to weld on the headers since they are double-walled water-jacketed.

Tinkerer
    I drilled my head right at the exhaust flange.
    3/16 inch thermocouple - drilled the hole about 1 thou larger and tapped it in.

BAH468
    Fiat, do you have a web site for Computech?

Fiat48
    Originally posted by BAH468
    Fiat, do you have a web site for Computech?
    So that is what it took for you to finally post?
    Come by and get one of mine and get it on there.
    http://www.computechsys.com/

BAH468
    I'm always lurking, but I thought I better do a few posts so I'm not a junior member forever

Schiada76
    Originally posted by eliminatya
    that what i was afraid of, don't really want to weld on the headers since they are double-walled water-jacketed.
    Da bung's no problem. They can reach the inside of the double wall fine. I had my Lightnings done, didn't bugger up the powder coat too bad either.

eliminatya
    brad, who did them for you? did the weld the bung to the inner and to the outer wall? let me know. thanks sam.