Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of the Water!

rposton1
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    The pump was not damaged.
    However...that little rubber impellor is probably toast. Cheap insurance to change it.
    How hard is that to change out?....Rob

HavasuDreamin'
    If you have a jet pump, you are putting miles on your wear ring. If you have an outdrive, the water impeller may be toast, or at least has more wear on it. The only way to tell with an outdrive is to pull the lower unit.

Havasu Hangin'
    Jet?
    Nevermind. Carry on. My bad.

rposton1
    yeah its a jet, man I feel bad:frown: ...thanks all for your help, your all great

riverbound
    If its a jet you dont have to worry about it. But It is always better to run water through the motor.

RiverDave
    Originally posted by ADDICTED
    I would assume if the temp did not get to high the only problem you have caused or will cause is the water impeller to fail or fail sooner then it would have.
    How is he going to know the temp of the engine when the temp guage will not read accurately with zero water pressure? (Or better yet zero water)
    RD

BADBLOWN572
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    How is he going to know the temp of the engine when the temp guage will not read accurately with zero water pressure? (Or better yet zero water)
    RD
    He will know the first time he puts it in the water. Always check to confirm that water is coming out of the pipes and closely watch your temp gage. Chances are 40 seconds, you probably did some damage, but the question is how much. You will know within the first 30 seconds of it being in the water. If you don't have any water coming out of the pipes, you have fried your impeller and will need to replace it. If your temp gauge rises quickly, you will also know. Usually there is enough water left in the jackets of the motor to get a fairly accurate temp reading. If new water pressure is not pushing the water through the jackets it will heat up very quick. Just as a safeguard, I would replace the impeller anyways because a $50 part is a lot easier to change at home versus in the 110 degree heat at the river. Also talk about a bad way to start the weekend.

HavasuDreamin'
    Guys..........JET BOAT!

Jdbuck
    As a side note to this topic, a buddy of mine suggested before you connect your rabbit ears to the outdrive, put a little liquid (palmolive, joy, whatever) dish soap in the end where the ears connect to the hose. Then turn on the water and start the engine. The soap will flow through the impellar like a lubricant and add life to the impellar. He swears by it!
    We he services his boat at Alco, they cannot believe what good condition it is in. I've started doing that this year, so we will see how good of idea that really is.....

rposton1
    ....QUOTE]Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
    Guys..........JET BOAT! [/QUOTE]
    I'm still learning alot hehe someday I may have a boat with a prop Robert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast