Thread: Thru hull exhaust

SLAPPING_GLASS
    has anybody ever changed there exhaust from out the outdrive to thru hull and done it themselves.if so how much of a pain is it and are there complete kits available for this...Thanx

HP350SC
    I did it and it was easy. Determine where you want the exhaust to exit. You need to remove motor and Y-pipe to install the block off plate. Buy 2 tips with integral no-burn flaps from Rex marine. Pick up four 4" elbows and an adequate length of 4" exhaust hose from CPperformance. Fresh holesaw and the green 3m tape so as not to chip the gel. Measure twice, then measure again. Drill from inside until holesaw bottoms out. Remove plug in saw, then using pilot hole drill from outside to minimize rough edges. Use stainless screws and seal the transom hole edges with silicone. This was my procedure, maybe there is a boat builder that can simplify or recommend a better way.

bajaboater502
    It is about that easy, I did it on my last boat in about 6 hours but I didn't have to pull the motor. depending on you boat you can set it up a couple of different ways, the first is straight out the back with the tips above the water and the second is either a side exit or rear exit with the tips below the water line, with the tips below the water you can have idle speed quiet and then hear the roar when you get up on plane. It has been about 5 years since I did my last boat but Gil marine had all 3 methods available in kit form. I do believe the side exhaust had canisters to prevent water back flow. The side is what I wanted at the time so I could have the best of both but it wouldn't fit in the boat. I too recommend the internal flappers and I use an external flapper to just incase which really paid off last summer when I happened to look up the tip and saw the internal was gone and for who knows how long. that ten dollar clamp on flap saved my 20 thousand dollar motor. The only other thing you need besides silicone is some fiberglass resin, after you cut out the holes coat all the exposed edges with atleast 2 coats of resin, I have seen a few boats with rotted transoms because someone drilled a hole for some thing and the silicone broke down or burned off and the wood just soaked up the water. The resin will prevent this and it is cheap, I coat all penitrations with it.

mirvin
    Easy???!!! I've got everything I need to do this.......cherry picker, jacks, hell I even got a 9,000lb lift.......but to call it easy??? Nuttin easy about yanking the motor out of a boat and re-installing..... I'll do my through hull when I've yanked the motor because it blew up.
    mirvin

CheckmateFever
    Ball park...what does it cost to convert from thru-prop to thru-hull exhaust? I'm looking at a an older Checkmate with a 350 in it but no thru-hull exhaust, if i do get a chance to buy the boat (i hope it hasn't sold yet) thats an absoulute must have conversion! Thanks

bajaboater502
    on my last boat ( the new one has thru hull only) we installed captains call so there was no need to pull the motor or the y pipe since it was still needed. I got a captn call sys for 450 bucks on ebay ( I think it was ebay) so all we had to do was cut the holes coat them with resin and install the tips and 4 inch hose. I think 450 was well invested since i didn't have to pull the motor and could turn it back thru the prop for docking and skiing.

HP350SC
    Originally posted by mirvin
    Easy???!!! I've got everything I need to do this.......cherry picker, jacks, hell I even got a 9,000lb lift.......but to call it easy??? Nuttin easy about yanking the motor out of a boat and re-installing..... I'll do my through hull when I've yanked the motor because it blew up.
    mirvin
    Oh c'mon ya weinie You can have the motor out in an hour and a half. 2 nuts,2 bolts, slide the drive off and disconnect all the jewelry.

mirvin
    Originally posted by HP350SC
    Oh c'mon ya weinie You can have the motor out in an hour and a half. 2 nuts,2 bolts, slide the drive off and disconnect all the jewelry.
    I think it's all the jewelry that's got me running skeered!! I just wouldn't want to have to do it just to update the exhaust. My luck I'd blow the motor up the first trip after having it out!!!
    mirvin