Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neve Owned a Boat, Got me a Jet ! Advice ?

airocraft
    Dear Hot Boat Readers and Posters :
    I have never owned a boat before two days ago . :crossx:
    I traded a $600 TV for this 1978 Sleekcraft Jet Boat as I allways wanted a boat but dont like props so ...... :idea:
    Anyway ...Keep in mind that I am a pretty good engine/tranny builder, can work glass and cup spray. I worked in NASCAR as an Engine Builder and did fab work on the body shop so I will undertake the labor myself SLOWLY and METICULOSLY !!!
    So , what do I look for to tell me if this is worth the $600 TV I traded and if its worth my time doing? Some guy who was a prop head said I should sell this stuff on ebay and use the money to get a prop ??? :argue:
    This is what I know so far:
    1. The Pump is a Berkley 12JC-A-H ( What does the A and H Stand for )
    The Casing had H-2155 cast into it and another plate that said Hardin and another # (( Who is Hardin ))
    The pump turns surprinsingly freely by hand and there seems to be no damage to the impeller, drive shaft, or housing. The Nozzle turns easily with the steering wheel. The Transom , hull and stringers supporting the engine mount thought covered in dirt seem undamaged and dry.
    2.Hardin Marine Accesories ( No Motor ). Hardin Water Cooled Headers in good shape, Hardin Valve Covers, Hardin Water Pump Cover, Thermostat housing, and Hardin Bell Housing which seems to fit an Olds 455.
    2.5 I have a Newly Rebuilt Olds car engine that is the same year and size. If I replace the Carb, Distributer, Water Pump, Vavles and Springs, and Heads do you think it wil mount up to the Bell Housing and Hardin Headers? and go lets say 45 around the lake ? How is that done ? A Mini Drive Shaft and U Joints?
    3. The Hull looks like it was seperating at the seam and has been repaired somewhat poorly. Doeasnt look like a major fix but I still want your opinions and ides. No soft spots in the hull though floor needs to be replaced. ((( I know to use 1/2 Marine , but as far as framing do I attach it to the stringers or make new floor braces and glass them in ?
    4. No Winsheild or frame :cry: ANy ideas ? Or is it still cool to be glassless.?
    5. Trailer in Fair condition. Is a tilt trailer with roller wheels. Pulled 35 Miles home NP, Needs new wiring and hitch but not rusted elsewhere.
    6. Of course I am going to paint this thing like MADDDDD
    Was thinking Monster Rods or something nostalgic like Orange Crush . Can I use Car Paint ? Will it come off ? I have heard of clearcoating, but isnt the paint on a boat gellcoated into the hull?
    If I can use car paint that would be cool ! Can do allot with that, just do not want to have to paint it every year .....
    7. BIG QUESTION , can I just polish the aluminum Berkly and leave it unpainted and run it like that ? I like the look of brushed aluminum and thought it might look cool !
    ANy other tips or ideas
    ?????
    I just found this forum and find myself now spending less time staring out the window at my boat and learining about what I am quickly becoming addicted to !
    THANKS
    Airo

Bigern
    Pics?

73kona455
    you might enjoy this site also >> Banderlog forums (http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/) its geared towards jetboats

IMPATIENT 1
    Never Owned A Boat And Got A Jet Huh? Only Advise I Can Give You At This Point Is This::
    Get A Second Job!you'll Need The Extra Cash Now!
    get Out While You Can!part It Out On Ebay And Buy A Fish/ski Combo While You Still Have Money In Your Bank Account And Still Dream About Titties Instead Of A 8-71 Blower Or 100mph Hull!lol, Welcome To ***boats!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    the olds will be fine for a first timer Change the cam and springs, carb and get a good intake(dual plane). Make sure that the mains have .0025-.003 and rods .002-.0025 with about .0016-.0018 side clearance. Buy a set of oil restricted pushrods and a 10qt pan. you should be fine after that Ask all the Q's that you have. We've all been there and are here to help

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Oh and props are for P*SSIES Real men drive jets

Ken F
    Airo-
    I'd say you got your TV's worth! lol
    Don't ya just love horsetrading?
    Floor- yes, 1/2" Marine, you got that covered. Go ahead & rip it out, it will become clear to you how to put it back together as you see it. Just be sure to coat the bottom of the floor in Resin before you lay it, and try to leave a way for water to drain back into your bilge.
    Pump is hooked to the flywheel with a PTO setup, or sometimes a short driveshaft.
    Do a search on here on Olds, you will find a lot of info on boat mods which seem to help. Banderlog board mentioned above has some pretty good info on them also.
    Auto paint of course works, however you need to be really careful. I'd suggest Gel if you can do that. It's much more durable, and you don't have to worry about hitting it with a ski or other things. You use a boat, and it's going to get banged up a little. Gel just seems way more durable, but paint will work.
    If you like the brushed Aluminum look, great, but I'd suggest getting it clear powdercoated. Won't oxidize & turn dull that way.
    Welcome to the boards, and your new addiction!
    My name is Ken, and I'm an addict.
    Ken F

BigBlockBaja
    My name is Ken, and I'm an addict.
    Ken F
    Thats a big step is admitting your addiction. You may just recover.

Ken F
    LOL...you have to want to first

dmontzsta
    Oh and props are for P*SSIES Real men drive jets
    LMAO.
    Dont say that, noobies believe what they hear/read.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast