Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 455 blew, NEED ADVICE, please!!!

dekmaster
    Hi All,
    I know what everyone says about the 455 olds. Now I am a believer. This is what happened, and I hope that someone can help me troubleshoot this. I was standing in the water and a big boat came came. My engine was off at the time but the wake flooded the back of the boat and there was about an inch of water on the intake manifold. I got some water off and let it sit for a while. After which I went water skiing. After two runs at about 3500 RPM, the engine stuttered backfired and died. I tried to stat it but all I heard is a very loud metalic thump while trying to turn over the crank. After getting towed for 3 hours and letting the engine cool, I tried to turn it over and after some cranking it started up. It was rough at first but it smoothed out and now runs fine. When I got home I started some troubleshooting procedures. I pulled the plugs and found that one of them had a little yellow rust on the tip. I checked the compression and they are all within 10%. (135 - 150 psi) The final step and the reason for writing this I checked the oil. GOT MILK? It's milky which means there is water there. What possible ways can the water get in there and how could I check all of the possibilities? After such loud thumping and water in the oil, why does it start up perfectly now?
    Thanks in advance,
    dekmaster

BrendellaJet
    Ill bet you blew a head gasket on the cylinder with the rusty spark plug.

dekmaster
    If the gasket blew, wouldn't I get bad compression in that cylinder? Also that metalic thumping sound that I heard do you think I permantly damged anything or was it something else?

Wally_Gator
    You mentioned that the water was all over the intake?
    Is it possable that water got into the Intake and thus down into
    the cylinder(s)? The thump could have been mild hydrolock.
    After the tow, there was time enough for the water to leak down into the crankcase. Start it up and it spuuters while the last of the water is shot out. Then the running afterwards starts the process of the milkshake (mixing the water into the oil).
    Anyone?

dekmaster
    There was no water in the cylinders, when I pulled the plugs out, so when I cranked it doing compression tests no water squirted out.
    Dennis

Wally_Gator
    Originally posted by dekmaster
    There was no water in the cylinders, when I pulled the plugs out, so when I cranked it doing compression tests no water squirted out.
    Dennis
    Did you start it before running the compression test?
    If it did run, the water would have been shot out through the exhaust.

MudPumper
    He's saying after you got it fired up after the tow the water got shot out, when it was sputtering and what not. Hence no water in the cylinders at cpmpression check.

Floored
    water on intake can bleed through bolt holes into lifter valley. check for water in distributor causing it to kick back while starting making a metallic sound. engine cooling creates a vacuum drawing the water into the engine.

dekmaster
    Yes I did run it before doing the test. Do you guys think I should change the oil and just run for a while with a garden hose, to check whether the same thing happens or not?

lucky
    and let her rock and rollll

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast