Thread: New floor resin pissing me off

frantic rat
    Hey great fiberglass god's, I need some help with the new resins. I am currently working on my 1978 Hondo Sprint and doing a total restoration. I have laminating experience but it was a long time ago. This new polyester resin that I am getting is making this very difficult. When I mix it per the chart they give me it goes off like myself on a wet dream, when I slow the mixture down, it takes day's to get workable. It seem's that the working time is so short that it will not flow out to self level. Am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks for any help in advance,
    Wolfy

Spotondl
    Two words.... Styrene Monomer.
    Thin up to 15% max.... and thin it BEFORE you add catalyst...
    Ok, some more words... don't try to do it in the heat of the day, the resin will go off like you say... Early morning is best, mix it, lay it out flat fast.
    Just my .02

Kurtis500
    You need to mix it exactly. My injection and chopper machine has 6 mixture settings, each is a QUARTER of a percent in difference. In other words, 1% - 1.25% - 1.5% and so-on. Each setting makes a difference in gel time and part warpage, and all of it based on ambient air temps and so-on. That alone is the reason I do my parts in an air conditioned shop..no variables. When I mix small cups I measure out the resin then use the measurements on a 10 cc syringe. If your off and mix too much MEKP you will gel it quickly and it wont flow. The resin should give instructions on percentages of MEKP at a given air temp.
    Did they give you a waxing agent or some PVA to cover it up when your done laying it down?

frantic rat
    Thanks for the info, I did mix the resin in the heat of the day, also did not remember the catalist mixture was so critical. I will get some of that styrene for thinning. They did not give me any wax resin, I was thinking about taking it somewhere to get the final coat done. Any suggestions?
    Wolfy

Wally_Gator
    Frantic,
    The resin you bought, was it labeled laminating resin or sanding resin by chance? If it is labeled laminating resin, it will remain tacky after full setup. Sanding resin has a wax aditive that allows the resins surface to cure and has to be sanded between coats.