Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 78 Glastron CVX-20

quig
    Hi guys !!
    This will be my first post, as a new cvx owner my story sounds alot alike, floor gone engine shot interior destroyed but a good project just the same . I was hoping someone could give me the performance capabilities of the cvx20 ...top speed tricks
    etc.I have read all that i can find but it seems that there is not a lot of good information on the cvx20 jet. Any comments good or bad would help all of us Carlson owners.

Hydro-Thunder
    The CVX 20' that I have has a 12JE pump and a 460. The engine has about 400-450hp place diverter new Aggressor "A" impeller all in all pretty stock pump. I turn about 5100 RPM's and that puts me to about 68. My goal is to hit 75-80. I am going to do some head work and stealth manifold. Hope that helps me a little?
    Jesse

quig
    thanks Jesse!!!
    that is exactly what I was looking for.My cvx20 is a 1979 that came up from Fla.I have a 1969 429 being rebuilt at the engine shop with 10.5:1 flat tops a "little" head work on the exhaust side, mild cam,performer rpm intake ... not sure on carb size yet, with msd distributor and a cheater NOS kit .The pump is berkley 12JF with the electric trim , and what I assume is an A impeller(not really sure)I have been reading all I can but it is so much better to here "real world" information does you boat still have the fuel tank in its original position in the bow? what kind of fuel milage(how long does 27 gallons last on average)do you have a porpusing problem at low speeds ? and finally on last question ( for now http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif ) how does that hull design work in rougher water?? I live in Nova Scotia and the river leads to the ocean would that hull design live in a bigger swell??
    steve

h2otboat
    I have a 78 cvx 20 with a 460 and 12JE pump.I had the pump rebuilt last year with an A impeller.The boat ran 67 at 5000rpm last year until the engine expired. Im currently building a new 460 with 11.2comp. a healthy solid lifter cam.I had the heads ported and am using a offenhauser port o sonic intake with a 750dp on top.Hope to see low 70s with this combo,but Ill have to wait a few more months to see.One thing I have noticed about my boat is that it does not like rough water,but rung great when it is smooth. Good luck with your project.......

pgf127rt
    quig, about the rough water, I have had the same experience as h2oboat, the carlson prefers smooth water over big swells and rough chop, not that it wont take it, it is just not comfortable to ride in on larger waves, mine will run in excess of 70 mph, as soon as the weather warms up here I will check mine with a gps, since I put the badass 468 in it, and as for the question about the fuel tank I found that it is simple to get an exact replacement that is a pvc or some composite material than to mess with the original metal one, and the 27 gal. tank shoul run you to the next marina,LOL, it all depends on your right foot, mine is heavy. Y'all Have a Great Holiday Season.

quig
    high 60's low 70's oh my!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif that is right where I had hope to end up at ... but by the sounds of things if everything is working correctly I will be starting there waahoooo!!! . hey pgf127rt do you know any companys that are making the composite fuel cell. I would love to replace the steel tank to remove some weight (and the rust inside),also for everybody, does the cvx have a problem with hook in the hull .I had hoped to just repait the top portion of the boat but while the engine is out I dont want to take a chance and miss something should I be concerned??

AntRant
    I have a 76' CVX 20 just got it in the fall. It has a 460 w/a Berk JE. Edelbrock torqer intake, Hardin Exhaust, Little ity bity 600 dp carb (750 on the way).I only had a chance to take it out twice after i bought it. Mine was in decent shape...Seems like a good motor(knoch on wood)No smoke. Just had a little rust. The intake manifod and Logs needed a little Love. Interior was good, Paint not so good, doesn't look bad in the water. I also have a rusty gas tank. Can anybody e-mail me pics of ther Glastron???

quig
    another question for the group... what is the good the bad the ugly on the berkley E & F jets what makes them different and what berkley is the best to have for all around performance ? I also would love to see some cvx20 pics I will post mine as soon as get some

pgf127rt
    quig and antrant, I will get you the name of the supplier for the composite tank tomorrow, I think it was from Eddie marine but I am not sure the metal on that came with my boat had slabbed the rust so bad it wouldn't allow the fuel to come out never had a problem in 11 years, i will get some pix of mine, however the silver one on Classic Glastrons is the spittin image except for the place diverter and the 468 chev. it is a strong motor with an 850 annular discharge dp on a victor jr. sitting on a set of square ports with large stainless valves and comp cam, springs, and hyd lifters,it has a comp 9000 ignition and a berkley pump with a B impeller, spins about 5600, and loves Bajas, but if they out run me I will go back and get the Hondo Flat, with the bad Ford and blow them away.

h2otboat
    I believe the E and F pump are the same, but the F pump has a jetovator.They are insert type pumps.My knowledge of pumps is limited,but growing. I do not thing the E and F pumps can support a 100 mph boat,but seem to work fine in the 60 70 mph range.Hope to push that to the mid 70s in a few months.My 78 cvx20 is the original metal flake blue.Ill see if the I can get someone to scan a picture so I can post one.No promises. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE........

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast