Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Work and Rogers Custom Boats

Burntaco
    Im ready to paint my 18' Rogers Cyclone and wanted to know the best way to remove that old lacquer paint job that was sprayed over the original gelcoat. I have heard about plastic media blasting and wondered if this would be a good way to go about it. I know its used for stripping the paint off of classic cars without harming the glass or rubber gaskets. I dont want to hand sand the hull and create uneven spots or waves. Also, does anyone know if Rogers Custom Boats is still in business? I thought about bringing the boat back to them for some work. Thanks in advance.

FoMoCo
    When I stripped the laquer paint off my Kachina, I had to use chemical paint stripper. It took a long and I used a razer blade and puddy knife. Be carefull not to leave it on to long becaue it started to eat the original Gel coat, But I guess that why they make filler primer! Good Luck

77Spectra
    Sand, sand, sand. Took me 22 months but I removed the gell. You may be able to just rough sand, 600 grit, fill and prime nicks. And paint over what you have. I would spray the bottom with an epoxy primer to prevent osmossiss (check spelling). Speedcoat it while you are at it. Emron would be the best, PPG Deltron with clear 2nd, PPG Delstar with clear 2nd and a half. Use 3m premium filler bellow the waterline. It is very new and very easy to work with. You may use spot putty to fill the pin holes. Any other paint Brand stories out there?

jaqquuuz
    I agree with Sprectra on this one sand sand sand except id start with 180 grit ( ok 100 ) and take your time cause it seems like its never gonna end but one day your ready for primer then you get to sand sand and sand some more then you get to paint buy a good quailty paint and primer after you put on some color guess what wet sand wet sand wet sand then comes the clear throw some pearl in then spray the clear and then its time to SAND SAND SAND SAND and if your happy with what you see you get to BUFF BUFF BUFF BUFF and then your done !!!!!!

jaqquuuz
    Oh as far as Rogers boats Bob last I had heard he was in Arizona somewhere he might be out by Havasu somewhere not sure but he builds a great boat.

wrightnow
    Rogers Boats was located in Bellflower Ca. off of lakewood, until about two years ago. I heard he is no longer building boats anymore.

Burntaco
    Thanks for all the info guys. Too bad I cant get ahold of him. Oh well. So do you guys know anyone I can trust to do a really good paint job? I was thinking of stripping the boat down to the original gel coat and then repainting it from there because I've heard that gel coat paint jobs are really expensive. What kind of $ am I looking at?

77Spectra
    Gel jobs usually run $100 a foot.

jaqquuuz
    and thats for 1 color

Burntaco
    $100 a foot doesnt sound bad at all. That's only 1800 bucks then. I wanted to have it done in white and then have my friend airbrush graphics on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast