Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not busy spanking something? I have a?

Chestah Cheetah
    I just changed the oil on my 455 to 50W. When I leveled the trailer and started it up, it started getting hot- 143 degrees. The drivers side exhaust didn't start spitting out water until 1 min. after the passenger side. I have 2 locations to install the garden hose, 1 before the gate valve and one after. It got hot connected before the gate valve, when I connected it closer to the motor after the gate it cooled off quickly and had better flow out of the pipes. Is something stuck? Should I just eliminate the gate valve? What else should I check? Thanks in advance for stopping the spanking and helping.

rstover1
    One thing to think about a water hose dosent push half the water pressure that the pump does changing the oil shouldnt change the temp that much I wouldnt ditch the valve yet put it on the lake first. Just a thought

Chestah Cheetah
    Sorry, both hose locations are before the gate valve. The second location just cuts out water going to the pump and concentrates it to the motor only, I'm assuming- I'm new to this. When I do this, the temp goes all the way down and both pipes are spewing water. I've run the boat on the trailer a few times before and have never seen the temp go up that much. When the hose is hooked up to the first hose connection and it gets hot, the drivers side exhaust is noticeably hotter to the touch and so is the restrictor housing.

when you run your boat out of water you should have water going to the engine and pump to keep from burning up the seals on the mainshaft of the pump. it sounds like you are not getting enough water from you garden hose to cool the motor. when you are running the boat in the lake the pump is already in the water so all the water is flowing to the engine(comes from the pump). i always used two hoses when i ran my boat in the driveway one coneccted to the motor, the other keeping the jet seals wet.
    kevin

racingrascal
    What is the easiest way to keep the Jet seals wet or the main shaft??
    Andy

timitunnel
    The best way to keep the seals wet is to have lake front property with a dock and boathouse. A year around warm climate also helps. Tim

hoolign
    Originally posted by kevin:
    when you run your boat out of water you should have water going to the engine and pump to keep from burning up the seals on the mainshaft of the pump. it sounds like you are not getting enough water from you garden hose to cool the motor. when you are running the boat in the lake the pump is already in the water so all the water is flowing to the engine(comes from the pump). i always used two hoses when i ran my boat in the driveway one coneccted to the motor, the other keeping the jet seals wet.
    kevin
    tuned my boat on land lots,takes 10 min, to pull the u-joint

hoolign
    Originally posted by kevin:
    kevin
    tuned my boat on land lots,takes 10 min, to pull the u-joint

Hustler
    CC, How did the boat run on sunday? you said that it got to 143 in the driveway but 143 does not seem that hot. by the way did your oil psi come up?
    Hustler

Chestah Cheetah
    Great day on Sunday. Disconnected the water intake hoses, poked around, put them back on fired it up and it was good (fixed itself?). Still ran kind of hot, but that might be cause I just switched to 40W- but we had equal amounts of water coming out both pipes. When we got it onthe water it ran COLD and good. Oil pressure is still kind of an issue for me. Varied from mid 20's to high 30's depending on RPM.
    Here's a question: I top out at 4000rpm. I need to go faster. I doesn't sound like it's really charging. Impeller?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast