Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6 Volt batteries

TOBTEK
    I was just messing with you ...I always love these topics...
    Yeah, got the truck...luv it....just pulled the boat to DCB and took 95 to Yuma and did the 8 route over the grade out of El Centro....passed pretty much everything going up the grade while towing the 26...
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...educed-med.JPG
    your trucks lookin good Mr Brown! I'm thinking I may need those door handles as well.

Tom Brown
    I personally think the golf cart batteries are a better match for the service duty required by a big stereo. If internal resistance is a concern, a decent quality capacitor should have less internal resistance and a higher discharge rate than any battery. I'd be surprised if a cap made much difference at all with decent amps, it would be just fine without them.
    Having said that, I like living with nice clean gelled lead acid batteries. No spills, the terminals never get fuzzy, and they have an extremely high power density (nice and small for their output but heavy). One thing about the gelled batteries is that they don't deal with over voltage very well. If you go this route, make sure you have a good quality charger that keeps the voltage below 13.75v.
    So, my opinion is... there is more than one way to skin a cat. The right battery setup will depend on what you're looking for.
    PS - Nice truck, MBrown.

Tom Brown
    The amp hr on a 6 volt will blow away the amp hr on the 12volts.
    Keep in mind, this number will not double when you run two batteries in series. The amp hour rating on the 12v batteries will double when you run two of them in parallel. Also, when you run in series, it will only be as good as the weakest battery.
    But yeah, it's a lot of power for the price and those golf cart batteries are designed to be frequently deep cycled so it's a good service match for a big stereo.
    Hey, why no flames yet? Has everyone got me blocked?

mbrown2
    No block, but I got you circled... :idea:
    Toby, thnx appreciate the truck feedback..

77charger
    someday HH will see the light

BoatFloating
    Keep in mind, this number will not double when you run two batteries in series. The amp hour rating on the 12v batteries will double when you run two of them in parallel. Also, when you run in series, it will only be as good as the weakest battery.
    But yeah, it's a lot of power for the price and those golf cart batteries are designed to be frequently deep cycled so it's a good service match for a big stereo.
    What did Tom Brown say.
    I can just talk from experiance that my 6V's worked alot better than my 2 Optima's....

BLOWN HOWARD
    Yeah i agree with you the 6volt will definetly kick the crap out of any 12volt, i have some at work that are gell sealed, and that you cant buy in the US. Going to put some in the boat this winter.

mbrown2
    Yeah i agree with you the 6volt will definetly kick the crap out of any 12volt, i have some at work that are gell sealed, and that you cant buy in the US. Going to put some in the boat this winter.
    What is this? Gel Sealed 6v's? Do tell...

BLOWN HOWARD
    Thats right mike 6volt gel, made in germany Called sonenshine's Awsome battery's thinking of putting two of them in the howard for the stereo!!!!

mbrown2
    Thats right mike 6volt gel, made in germany Called sonenshine's Awsome battery's thinking of putting two of them in the howard for the stereo!!!!
    Not sure if this is right specs, and maybe this is something different, but looks like these MK's are AGM Sealed and they have a 6V with 200 amp hours rating...only a little less specs then the Trojans, but they are AGM sealed..
    MK Batteries (http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/batteries1.htm)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123