Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic steering

ao/al2
    Hey guys, I have hydraulic steering right now and im thinking about adding hydraulic to the helm, is this a big plus or is it a waste of money.
    AL

BoatFloating
    Hey guys, I have hydraulic steering right now and im thinking about adding hydraulic to the helm, is this a big plus or is it a waste of money.
    AL
    What kinda HP????

ao/al2
    Engine is just about together, engine builder says over 1000hp.

BoatFloating
    Engine is just about together, engine builder says over 1000hp.
    Then I would say full Hyd wouldn't be a bad thing...

ao/al2
    Okay ,,,,,but whats so good about it? Does it help with low idle steering? cause my external steering suchs when im driving around the docks, its kinda hard.

NashvilleBound
    Okay ,,,,,but whats so good about it? Does it help with low idle steering? cause my external steering suchs when im driving around the docks, its kinda hard.
    I would go with the full hyd set up. I wish I did it so when your idling through the channel or around docks it would not feel loose.

don johnson
    Hi,
    Full hydraulic with the helm is the only way to go. Low RPM steeling will be slightly improved. For safety reasons alone I would go full hydraulic with that kind of HP. It removes the saginaw valve and cable assembly that can fail. By removing the cable you have removed any slope hat exists and can be transferred onto the drive in the form of slight movements...
    One benefit is that at speed you can let go of the steering wheel and it will remain in that exact direction. It will not turn right like it will now.
    Call Imco and they can give you some great input to help with your decision making...
    Good luck!

BoatFloating
    Sorry it was so vague. The guys above me answered more of your questions. It's also better at that HP if the drive lets go. You'll have much better steering control.

FastTimmy
    This is usually caused by inadiquite flow at the presure valve in the pump. It is a simple procedure to do, any pump shop can drill it out and flow until it is right.
    As far as fuul hydraulic, it is good for all the resones above and very much needed if you run a nose cone. The nose cone pertrudes out in front of the steering moment in the gimble and has a counter force on the drive when turning. This force will greatly increase any lose steering feel the boat has and it will do it at high speed...
    My .02
    Timmy

Whipped Caliber
    I would go with the full hyd and dual. I have a 1,100hp + and docking is great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast