Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauge or Sending Unit?

BadBahner
    I have a 0 psi reading on my Engine Oil pressure. It is totally dead, no movement at all. How can I figure out if it is a sending unit or if it is the gauge?
    I have a BBC with electronic SU and VDO gauge.
    Thanks,
    Eric

1HOTGMCJET
    Take and ground the sending unit wire directly to the block - gauge should pin - this would indicate bad sending unit - if not, probably the gauge - good luck!

lilrick
    or faulty wiring

Taylor LP
    or no oil pressure :jawdrop:

BadBahner
    Take and ground the sending unit wire directly to the block - gauge should pin - this would indicate bad sending unit - if not, probably the gauge - good luck!
    Ok I grounded the sending unit to the block and it did peg the gauge. Now what? Is this a special sending unit for the gauge? Is there a marine version of the sending unit or can I go to any auto parts store? I have no experience with oil pressure sending units so if anyone has ever replaced one I would sure appreciate some assistance. Trying to get it fixed so I can go to CBBB this weekend. Thanks everyone.
    Eric

You need to match the sending unit to the gauge. You need to know what brand gauge you have and the pressure range(0-80, 0-100). Are there any numbers, brand name on the sending unit?

lucky
    or faulty wiring
    i found at the breakers - on ollllllld jet boats its common for the wire to become brittle - so if you have bouncy gauges - check grounds at the connection - just a fyi

Taylor LP
    You said you had a VDO gauge, you need to get a VDO sender. Most VDO gauges are either 0-70 or 0-150 psi. Markings on those senders will be 0-5 bar or 0-10 bar, and they need to match the gauge. I have a couple good used VDO senders, if you need one, PM me and I might be able to save you some bucks.
    The usual problem with these is that someone fed +12 volts to the sender, either by a short or incorrect connection at the gauge. Since you said the gauge still pegs when you ground the sender, be sure and check for any loose wires or terminals touching each other at the guage or engine junction block. These VDO senders seldom fail on their own. Don't want to puff another $ender.

wet77
    Had a problem like that on my 460 I had, I just hooked up a universal wet gauge with the plastic lines going to the motor for $10 at a local parts store and found out for sure if I had oil PSI in the motor
    Fixed the problem (bad sender in the other gauge) and kept the wet gauge in the tool box for the car, truck, boat or whatever else I would need to check
    Just a thought :idea:

BadBahner
    You said you had a VDO gauge, you need to get a VDO sender. Most VDO gauges are either 0-70 or 0-150 psi. Markings on those senders will be 0-5 bar or 0-10 bar, and they need to match the gauge. I have a couple good used VDO senders, if you need one, PM me and I might be able to save you some bucks.
    The usual problem with these is that someone fed +12 volts to the sender, either by a short or incorrect connection at the gauge. Since you said the gauge still pegs when you ground the sender, be sure and check for any loose wires or terminals touching each other at the guage or engine junction block. These VDO senders seldom fail on their own. Don't want to puff another $ender.
    Thanks Taylor,
    I have a 0 - 80 VDO. Do you have a sender for that one?
    Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast