Thread: Dyno numbers on my Olds

cyclone
    Well I took my 455 to Westech monday and tuesday and got the numbers back. Didn't make exactly what i wanted, but I'm close. Its time to buy those aluminum heads. here's the specifics:
    Nodular crank cut .20
    Standard bore (4.125 inches-the blocks never been bored before)
    9:1 compression
    standard rings and a fresh hone job
    Mondello main bearing restrictors, lifter bore restrictors, HV oil pump and 10 Quart oil pan
    unknown profile RV camshaft
    Edelbrock Performer intake
    ported and polished stock heads (i forget which casting number, definately not the good ones though.)
    Demon 850 cfm carb (i don't have the jet sizes)
    Hooker headers with open collectors-no mufflers
    MSD 6AL box, coil and 8.5 mm wires
    MAX POWER= 403.3 HP @ 4500 RPM
    MAX TORQUE= 532.5 FT/LBS @ 3600 RPM
    Next dyno run, we pulled the intake and valve covers and then installed:
    Comp Cams XE284 roller camshaft
    1.6 Magnum roller rockers, springs, locks, retainers, pushrods and timing set. With the Performer manifold and Demon carb the motor made:
    MAX POWER= 438.2 HP @ 4800 RPM
    MAX TORQUE= 538 FT/LBS @ 3600 RPM
    And finally, we pulled the Performer intake and Demon carb off and installed an Offenhauser Tunnel ram and a pair of Holley 750 cfm HP carbs (final jetting was 76 on all corners i think)
    MAX POWER= 452.3 HP @ 5400 RPM
    MAX TORQUE= 540.8 FT/LBS @ 3700 RPM
    We made 19 dyno pulls in all and in the end, my heads became the limiting factor on power. I'm going to look into the Edelbrock heads and they should put me over 500hp.

Dans66Stevens
    Hay that pretty cool.

cyclone
    thanks!

travis hathaway
    cyclone-- way to go! I've been trying to get an olds going for some years now and without much success. Seems as though the Conrod bearings keep failing. Long story, anyway I am getting ready to take a look at my most recent rebuild(never got to the lake). Sounds like a rod bearing though. Hope yours outruns some Chevys.

cyclone
    Thanks! i dont know about outrunning them just yet. hopefully with the new heads. we'll see. I'll have more dyno numbers with the heads next month.

travis hathaway
    Are you familiar with the BATTON aluminum heads from Mondello. They are pricey new, however I saw some on E-bay that were reasonable. And would you be interested in selling the ported heads that you are currently running?

cyclone
    I'd definately be interested in selling them. They are fresh and I could let them go with or without the new valvetrain.