Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic Diverter

Lawler
    I've got a hydraulic diverter on my 1986 Eliminator. I had the thing working fine, it went up and down....never went real fast but it worked. Now it won't move at all but it still makes noise like it wants to. I have never had the boat in the water this year. I'm hoping to get it in this weekend or the next if I can figure this out. Any suggestions?

copperrat20
    Put fluid in the tank. It won't work without fluid. :crossx:

copperrat20
    No but on the real - check your fluid level and bleed the line. It might have air in it. Air is compressable and hydraulic fluid is not. It's like bleeding the brakes on a car. Also check your power source. Oh wait you said it makes noise but doesn't move. Has to be either fluid problems or the pump went out.

Lawler
    I'll check it. I just figured that if I haven't seen any leaks and the thing was working before that it wouldn't be the fluid level, but I'll check it.

copperrat20
    The actuall cylinder could be leaking at the pump you just don't see it cause it is in the water. Just my 2 cents.

HOOTER SLED-
    Hopefully you didn't get water in it. Is the ATF milky?? If not, take off the plastic cover to the pump and tap it with a rubber mallet. Sometimes the pumps will freeze up from condensation. It will really freeze up if you got water in it. I actually had to take mine back to Place before to have it replaced. They should replace it if it's not out of warranty. If you mounted it where water can get in it, you're screwed. I think it was only about $80 to replace the pump though.

Lawler
    Is there a certain kind of fluid that everyone uses?? I still haven't figured out the problem. The fluid level seems to be fine but I don't get any movement out of it when I hit the button??

Start with the electrical just to be sure (the fuse and that your positive and negative connections are clean and tight). Now don't freak with this one, but take a rubber mallet and hit the hydraulic pump hard a few times since you have not used it this year - they have a tendency to stick when not used for extended periods of time.
    propless

Lawler
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to check these things tonight. If I can't find anything it might be time to get something else.

cave
    How old is the pump? Bennet Marine has a great replacement policy if the pump is under 3 years old. It cost me 40 bux to ship my old unit back to them.
    I had the same problem. Turned out my fluid holding tank was not tight to the unit allowing air to enter. Try to tighten the reservoir.
    Also If your battery is week this will affect your pump. The pump needs 12 volts to work properly. Make sure the pump is connected directly to the battery and not to any accessory outlet. Red wire directly to the positive battery post and black wire to the negative post.
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast