Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good vs Putz Mechanic

GASHGAZER
    So I have to blow a little steam off here....
    Quick background, I have a DPX drive and one of the steering rams blew a gasket and I had the replacement part ready to go. I keep the boat out in Havasu and had all intentions to do a quick swap, it seemed that all I had to do was remove the two hydraulic lines, pull the pins and drop the new one in. Well, I tryed my damdest all Friday night to get the bolts undone from the lines and had no luck, so in the morning I figured I make a quick drive to Savage Marine and ask what needed to be done, well, Mr. big shot over there said I needed a "line wrench" so I say, OK, do you have one, "O-sure I get those once and a while from Volvo", again, do you have one?? "yup", great, is there a way that I can buy or borrow it, or maybe bring the boat down and give a quick try to break the seal.... "O-no no no, I only do appointments only", now mind you, It's 7am, empty shop and he can see that I am in a desparate situation and offers no help whatsoever... what a D!CK !! Then tells me to go to JC marine that works on "stuff" like that. So not a good way to start my day. Anyway, now comes the good... I figured I would see if Chongs marine was open, and he wasn't officially, but he was out back tinkering around, I told him the same story and HE told me to bring the boat down and we'd give it a shot... by the way, he showed me the magic line wrench and it was just a 5 sided crescent wrench, nothing special. Well the bolt did not want to come off, but I can give me the credit for at least trying and doing it without a big headed attitude. I've gotten the same great service from Mike over at Gains Marine, him and his wife are really cool too. Bottom line, don't judge a book by it's cover... and what goes around comes around... I just hate jerks!! Kinda like if you're broken down on the water, I'll at least stop and offer help or make sure everyone is ok... common water courtesy... seems to be dwindling more and more these days... ok I'm done :rollside:

little rowe boat
    So were you finally able to get it repaired and get out on the water?

GASHGAZER
    didn't get it fixed, just added more fluid and it held up for the day, going to bring the boat home and use my "line" wrench and replace all the exterior lines on the drive....

PHX ATC
    I've heard that Savage Marine is kind of full of themselves. From more than one person on these boards.
    I've also heard they do good work.
    Maybe you caught him after his wife turned him down for some nookie.
    I haven't had any experiences with them at all, so I can't say. I'm sorry to hear that they gave you the blow, but happy #2 helped you out.

OGShocker
    Sunday we drove by Savage, on the way to Casa Fernadez and they were SLAMMED!

Kachina26
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I didn't drop THOUSANDS of bucks on tools to loan em out to do it yourselfers. I come to work everyday for the same reason you do, to make money. If I can help someone I usually will, but I am not obligated to show every Tom Dick and Harry how to do my job.

Tom Brown
    I'm with Kachina26. There are very few friends I will loan tools to, never mind strangers.
    Even if someone were to give me the full cost of the tool, I wouldn't want the trouble of replacing it. Mechanics cherrish their tools but the general public seems to have extremely low respect for tools.
    I don't think it's reasonable to expect a mechanic to loan you a tool. It's cool that Chongs helped you out, though.

Kachina26
    Tom, you have given me a severe case of the giggles with your rep you just gave me!!!!

GASHGAZER
    That's fine not to loan it out, but to make a big hoop and hollar about it being a special wrench, when it's really not is totally uncool!! If I would have seen the wrench, I would have picked it up at Kragen... I have a lot of ignorant people in my industry too, but it doesn't mean I give the cold shoulder. I do what I can to help them out, and shed some light on the situation...maybe that is just my nature. Like I said previously, it was early sat. morning with an empty shop... my point is, I can't stand arrogance, ya I do my job day in and day out just like anyone else, but I always make sure to close the doors at night knowing I am that little step better than yesterday...

GASHGAZER
    BTW, ALCO marine is way cool too, they have helped me out of binds many times too, and if they couldn't, they would help make calls around town to help me out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast