Ok, here comes the same question. IÂ’m building a system for my boat and what should I use. This is not going to be too radical or a competition system. I want a system that we can hear while driving down the lake and sound good when anchored off at the sandbar. The boat is used only on lakes and stored in the garage so marine equipment isnÂ’t needed. The boat is a 2004 Bryant 200 runabout-open bow type (not as wild or custom as the other boats on the hot boat site). Attached are pictures of the boat and usable speaker locations. The factory system is Sony CDX-CA705M AM/FM/CD receiver, Sony CDX-757MX Changer, 6 Sony 6.5 XSMP61 dual cone marine speakers, with helm and transom MRC-2 remotes. I have also added a Delphi XM. I am keeping everything except the 6.5Â’s. I want to replace them with some 6.5 2-ways. This is what I had planned. I am looking for other suggestions and comments on the components that I have chosen.
Replace the 6.5Â’s with Alpine SPR 174A 6.5 2-ways. I chose not to use separates in the factory locations because I donÂ’t want to modify the factory side panels. I thought I would either use Alpine or Rockford Fosgate Power or Punch amps for these. Maybe a 4 channel and a 2 channel. I will either paint the grills or use billet so I canÂ’t use a speaker with a grill mounted tweeter.
Next. 2 or 4 Alpine SPR 694A 6x9Â’s under the back seat. I know this is low area to mount them so IÂ’m open for suggestions Will there be a noticeable difference using 4 6x9's instead of 2 and is 4 needed? I donÂ’t want to put subs here because building the enclosure would take up storage space. The same choice for amps (Alpine or Fosgate).
Next a Sub. It will be located under the driver’s side console. The usable dimensions for an enclosure under the console are19” width x 18” depth x 20” height. I have thought about Bazooka tubes, because it would be the easiest route and easy to hide, but I’m not sure how they would sound. I can build an enclosure for a 10” or 12” sub if you think it would be better. Any recommendations of which type of sub (maybe Fosgate)? Also, help with the enclosure (size, material, sealed, ported, etc.). I don’t want the sub to be seen so I will cover the enclosure with the same carpet that is in the boat. I would like the sub to fire up, to the side, or down so it will not be visible (can this be done without losing sound). Again, Alpine or Fosgate Amp (any recommendations on model of amps).
I currently only have one battery (Interstate 800 CCA) and the boat doesnÂ’t have a high performance, high compression motor (5.0 MPI/Alpha 1 Mercruiser) to start. Will I need two batteries? I donÂ’t want to change the alternator.
Any input about the type of equipment that I have chosen or any changes would be appreciated. As you can tell I am a fan of Alpine and Rockford Fosgate. I would like to keep the cost of the speakers, sub, and amps below $1500. I will build the enclosure and do the installation. These boats are 100% wood free, so the only wood that I would like to add is the sub enclosure.
As I said, attached are pictures of locations and boat.