Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a System (Need help)!

edge99
    Ok, here comes the same question. IÂ’m building a system for my boat and what should I use. This is not going to be too radical or a competition system. I want a system that we can hear while driving down the lake and sound good when anchored off at the sandbar. The boat is used only on lakes and stored in the garage so marine equipment isnÂ’t needed. The boat is a 2004 Bryant 200 runabout-open bow type (not as wild or custom as the other boats on the hot boat site). Attached are pictures of the boat and usable speaker locations. The factory system is Sony CDX-CA705M AM/FM/CD receiver, Sony CDX-757MX Changer, 6 Sony 6.5 XSMP61 dual cone marine speakers, with helm and transom MRC-2 remotes. I have also added a Delphi XM. I am keeping everything except the 6.5Â’s. I want to replace them with some 6.5 2-ways. This is what I had planned. I am looking for other suggestions and comments on the components that I have chosen.
    Replace the 6.5Â’s with Alpine SPR 174A 6.5 2-ways. I chose not to use separates in the factory locations because I donÂ’t want to modify the factory side panels. I thought I would either use Alpine or Rockford Fosgate Power or Punch amps for these. Maybe a 4 channel and a 2 channel. I will either paint the grills or use billet so I canÂ’t use a speaker with a grill mounted tweeter.
    Next. 2 or 4 Alpine SPR 694A 6x9Â’s under the back seat. I know this is low area to mount them so IÂ’m open for suggestions Will there be a noticeable difference using 4 6x9's instead of 2 and is 4 needed? I donÂ’t want to put subs here because building the enclosure would take up storage space. The same choice for amps (Alpine or Fosgate).
    Next a Sub. It will be located under the driver’s side console. The usable dimensions for an enclosure under the console are19” width x 18” depth x 20” height. I have thought about Bazooka tubes, because it would be the easiest route and easy to hide, but I’m not sure how they would sound. I can build an enclosure for a 10” or 12” sub if you think it would be better. Any recommendations of which type of sub (maybe Fosgate)? Also, help with the enclosure (size, material, sealed, ported, etc.). I don’t want the sub to be seen so I will cover the enclosure with the same carpet that is in the boat. I would like the sub to fire up, to the side, or down so it will not be visible (can this be done without losing sound). Again, Alpine or Fosgate Amp (any recommendations on model of amps).
    I currently only have one battery (Interstate 800 CCA) and the boat doesnÂ’t have a high performance, high compression motor (5.0 MPI/Alpha 1 Mercruiser) to start. Will I need two batteries? I donÂ’t want to change the alternator.
    Any input about the type of equipment that I have chosen or any changes would be appreciated. As you can tell I am a fan of Alpine and Rockford Fosgate. I would like to keep the cost of the speakers, sub, and amps below $1500. I will build the enclosure and do the installation. These boats are 100% wood free, so the only wood that I would like to add is the sub enclosure.
    As I said, attached are pictures of locations and boat.

Mr. Naudio
    Nice looking boat.
    looks like the factory speaker locations will work very well for sound.
    would STRONGLY suggest not putting 6x9s under rear seat this can only hurt
    the sound.(the factory placement is good for the 6.5s)
    I am assuming you want the 6x9s to try and get a little more bass?
    As this is the only thing that they may be better at than 6.5s
    Since you are going with a sub the crossover setting to your highs will most likely be set to highpass nullifying this theory.
    The sub will handle the lows.
    Get good 6.5s and you will still be able to put pleanty of midrange to them.
    Not a fan of RF or Alpine thats where you would want to talk to Roz he should be able to get the equipment for ya at half price or less. :rollside:
    For the type of system you are describing one 5 or 6 channel amp would be fine and draw less from batts.
    Would still add another batt perco.(like a stinger or oddesy 1700)

ROZ
    Except with the half price or less, I agree with MA...
    I'm not a big RF fan myself, but I hear the new amps perform pretty good. I really like the Alpine subwoofers. They're overbuilt at their price point and perform well. The only time I'd use Alpine speakers(non marine), other than with a full F1 Status lineup, would be if I needed a good shallow speaker when I didn't have an Eclipse speaker in stock, or the customer was looking for a good inexpensive speaker(retail ).
    My advise regarding gear is that the best gear for you is the stuff YOU like.
    I have a couple stores in Tn.......

edge99
    The purpose of the 6x9's was mainly to make the system louder. But you guys know more about boat systems so I will take your advice and not use them. I don't want to sacrifice sound quality. You just saved me money and time.
    Ok, forget the Fosgate and Alpine equipment. What brand of 6.5's, amps, and sub would you recommend. I haven't built systems since the late 80's, so I am out of date on what is good (Alpine and Fosgate was big in the 80's).
    Is there any other advice on building the system? Your input is very valuable and much appreciated.
    ROZ where are your stores in TN?

Havasu Hangin'
    I agree with these guys. Six quality 6.5's and two subs will be plenty loud. In the 80's, you needed quantity...today, it's much more about quality.
    Amp and speaker brands are like tasting wine- everyone has an opinion, and it's very subjective.
    Having said that, I personally like the Quart or Infinity components, and my last set of Infinity subs really surpassed my expectations. You couldn't go wrong with JL's, either.
    I personally do not perfer RF amps in boats, and have no experience with Alpine.
    Make sure you overkill the wiring and grounds- it will save you headaches down the road (boats beat up stuff). I also agree on a second battery- cheap (starting) insurance for a quality system.

RBook
    My Larson is setup almost exactly as yours but came with Clarion equipment. I used all the stock equipment and just added an old RF Punch 150 and two new Punch 12's and it sounds great. I built two seperate boxes, one for each console. I built the boxes in the shape of truck boxes and then mounted them to the console back upside down so the subs fire at a downward angle and this also saved foot space under the console. I found carpet that matched the boat carpet but have not got around to installing any speaker grills yet. I know I had some pictures but can't seem to find them right now. If you want them completely hidden recess the speakers in the box and just cover the box completely with carpet. I did not replace the Clarion speakers because I know that in a couple of years they will have to be replaced, marine or not, and then I will upgrade them.
    Good luck..

77charger
    take these guys advice sounds like you are covered.I can say though do get an extra battery. or 2

ROZ
    The purpose of the 6x9's was mainly to make the system louder. But you guys know more about boat systems so I will take your advice and not use them. I don't want to sacrifice sound quality. You just saved me money and time.
    Ok, forget the Fosgate and Alpine equipment. What brand of 6.5's, amps, and sub would you recommend. I haven't built systems since the late 80's, so I am out of date on what is good (Alpine and Fosgate was big in the 80's).
    Is there any other advice on building the system? Your input is very valuable and much appreciated.
    ROZ where are your stores in TN?
    Chattanooga, Nashvile, Knoxville, and Madison...

edge99
    Thanks to everyone for your help. Although, I still am undecided about the type of equipment to use.
    A few more questions,
    1. What should I use to build the sub enclosure (marine plywood, etc.) and what thickness should it be?
    2. When running the wire from the battery to the distribution block, what gage wire should it be? Considering that this will be powering amps for 6 6.5" speakers and 1 12" sub.
    3. How close to the battery does the fuse need to be?
    4. I have seen a lot of billet speaker covers on this site. Some look like they would interfere with sound. Any comments on this.
    Again, thanks for everyoneÂ’s help. It is greatly appreciated.

PHX ATC
    3. How close to the battery does the fuse need to be?
    18 inches or closer to the battery.
    ROZ taught me that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast