Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel or Flexplate

Klass Klown
    I just wanted to know if i have a flywheel or flexplate guys. Wow this has gotten to deep. Heres my vote, lighter is better in an engine. End of story. You two are giving me a headache.
    Than run the lightest rotating assy. you can buy, light crank,LONG aluminum rod's, Ultra light piston's etc and watch your spring pressure on the seats for your Titanium valves LOL LOL LOL!!!!! :idea:

Squirtin Thunder
    Yes I have, back to my point. I understand your point And agree to a certain extent with your advice I would not completely rule out a flywheel if I were on a budget and i was already in posession of one! As you cannott afford a 49# crank a Titanium rod, you obviously use what you can afford!! Although it has been my experience that does not always get you to the winner's circle!!
    Biography:
    Highly competitive at everything
    Interests:
    Any foorm of racing
    Buisness owner
    Your Boat:
    several :rollside:
    PM me your contact info, I'd like to talk to you for a min.
    Thanks
    Jim

LakesOnly
    Either can work, the flexplate is probably more popular among the custom built ***boats and a quality flexplate is fine. Personally, I have a lightened aluminum flywheel on mine.
    LO

Klass Klown
    PM me your contact info, I'd like to talk to you for a min.
    Thanks
    Jim
    So is this how it works someone goes against the norm and they're profile is published?? Nice!! send me a P.M and we'll talk......

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yes I have, back to my point. I understand your point And agree to a certain extent with your advice I would not completely rule out a flywheel if I were on a budget and i was already in posession of one! As you cannott afford a 49# crank a Titanium rod, you obviously use what you can afford!! Although it has been my experience that does not always get you to the winner's circle!! :rollside:
    It seems that the general concensus is this : "Either will work just fine 80% of the time, in 90% of the boats out there."
    Now, Boats are not cars, even drag boats are not drag cars. Jet drives & ?rop drives have only 1 thing in common with a car's driveline, they have an engine attatched to them, period.
    For that other 10% of the boats out there, and the other 20% of the times out there, flexplates and the faster throttle response is important enough to sway a preference tht way. There are times you may actually WANT the engine response to be nearly instantaneous, as described earlier. At those times, 50 pounds of flywheel is a BAD THING.
    If you ever actually "detatch" a car from the ground, you are going damn fast & for a ride, and you are no longer "driving".
    It is comon to put a boat airborne at speeds as low as 50 MPH. If you do not learn to "pedal" the throttle when you go airborne, you will break parts very soon, gears in a prop and impellers in a jet.
    My 454 came with a factory steel flexplate, been flawless for 27 years, not about to change now.

SmokinLowriderSS
    So is this how it works someone goes against the norm and they're profile is published?? Nice!! send me a P.M and we'll talk......
    Well, I just looked, none of it was a secret, you published it for all to see. The "highly competetive at EVERYTHING" was no surprise to me either from the way this thread went.

Sleek-Jet
    ...Actually it would be "their" profile... and this thread wasn't started to be a pissing contest, just someone wanted to know if he had a flexplate or not.

FLYTE RISK
    It seems that the general concensus is this : "Either will work just fine 80% of the time, in 90% of the boats out there."
    Now, Boats are not cars, even drag boats are not drag cars. Jet drives & ?rop drives have only 1 thing in common with a car's driveline, they have an engine attatched to them, period.
    For that other 10% of the boats out there, and the other 20% of the times out there, flexplates and the faster throttle response is important enough to sway a preference tht way. There are times you may actually WANT the engine response to be nearly instantaneous, as described earlier. At those times, 50 pounds of flywheel is a BAD THING.
    If you ever actually "detatch" a car from the ground, you are going damn fast & for a ride, and you are no longer "driving".
    It is comon to put a boat airborne at speeds as low as 50 MPH. If you do not learn to "pedal" the throttle when you go airborne, you will break parts very soon, gears in a prop and impellers in a jet.
    My 454 came with a factory steel flexplate, been flawless for 27 years, not about to change now.
    So with that being said I suppose your rotating assy. is the lightest you could make it as well??? And as far as getting a boat airborne I dont think any boat, motor, outdrive, pump,v-drive, or whatever form of propulsion (unless it has wing's) was designed to take that form of abuse.. :rollside:

Taylorman
    You sure are coming out the gate swinging with 19 posts.

SmokinLowriderSS
    So with that being said I suppose your rotating assy. is the lightest you could make it as well??? And as far as getting a boat airborne I dont think any boat, motor, outdrive, pump,v-drive, or whatever form of propulsion (unless it has wing's) was designed to take that form of abuse.. And yes I have been down the liquid 1/4 mile in 7+ secs. 8secs. 9secs and 10 I have also been known to Hang out with the bestHA HA HALmao And I am the Klass Klown not the class bully LOL LOL LOL :220v:
    Nope, mine could be lighter. I'm sure somebody makes a lighter flexplate than mine, GM made mine. I have an 80% boat most of the time. She'll run low 70's and I am trying to push her to low 80's, but she's a skiiing/tubing/anchored floating sipping beer workhorse, not a circle-boat nor a drag-boat. I've never deliberately launched her, but it has happened on occasion, once several FEET when I did not see a cruiser-wake while outrunning another jet (my kidney's still remember it like yesterday).
    Someday I will be able to get to a SDBA or such race and put her in River Racer, just to do it once. The ones once held locally for about 15 yrs, have been gone the last 3, no local sponsor support. :cry: Congrats on your racing experiences.
    What I build for a living are meant to fly, yes, what I enjoy on the lake, is not, but I intentionally try to NOT break it while having a good time which is not always puttering arround the marina.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast