Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What Major? What Job?

XtrmWakeborder
    Wow so much good advice from the boards i can't thank all of you guys enough. Well I am good at math "business calc this semester and regular calculus next if my major requires it next semester" so careers in technology, engineering, etc are probably up my alley. I see alot of you seem to say get into the career soon in order to get experience. First, one on my uncles is in school for nano tech so once hes in i'm guessing hell be able to help me out once he gets settled in in a couple years. Also CPA seems to be a big moneymaker, just by chance my other uncle is a CPA who graduated from SDSU, which is where i want to transfer to. What exactly does a CPA do "i know he does my taxes lol, but what else? Do you guys think an internship might be worth the effort with either of them "even though i wont be getting payed?" And which one do you suggest i go for? Also sales is kind of a broad field, what kind of salesman make the big money?
    Thanks again guys
    David

Dave C
    good at math you say: finance, banking(not banking), accounting, engineering.
    CPA's work in private practice but also in management. companies tend to hire CPA's from "good" firms into their upper management (with some experience of course) big six + "right work experience" = upper management and big $$.
    CPA's also do consulting, mergers, compliance, FP&A, auditing etc. (good $)
    Don't rule out the consultant world. If "it" is difficult to understand, thats the beauty of it. If someone NEEDS "it" really badly, they have to pay you to do "it" for them. (thats what I do... "it", don't ask) Almost all companies hire outside consultants.
    Do a summer internship but keep the non-paid portion to a minimum (i.e. once) Try to intern in a big, prestigious company. Looks good on the resume.
    Sales?... something that you can sell a lot of and has a big commission. its difficult but technology sales are lucrative.
    BTW good shark lawyers make TONS of money. But i would feel dirty doing that. but afterall it is $

shueman
    Learn a trade....like building something.....a good mechanic is hard to find.....whatever you do, do it yourself, business-wise...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456