Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bears up at Mammoth

77charger
    Can we all say together "44 Magnum."
    you mean 454 cassul, ruger .480 or smith and wesson .500. :lightsabe .Just more power in them

Outnumbered
    Me and a buddy did a fishing/camping trip back in high school. We camped somewhere along the June Loop near Mammoth. I can't remember exactly where but it was a designated camp site. I had the cooler full of food safe in the back of my Toyota 4x4 with 33's and a 6" lift.
    We go to sleep in the tent about 10 feet from the truck only to awake a few hours later to the sound of the bear playing smack the cooler against the back of my cab. Focker climbed right up the side of my truck and started beating the shit out of my cooler until it opened up. He ate all our shit and then climbed out of the truck heading toward our camp. We are in the tent going WTF do we do now :idea: . Just then the ranger pulled up and scared him away.
    We are thinking--cool--and thank the ranger for helping us out. But that was not what he was thinking. The ranger was pissed at us for not stashing our food and started to right us a ticket for feeding the bears :boxingguy Nothing like rubbing salt in the wounds. I talked him out of it and all was OK, but what a dick. We hung our shit from two trees the next night.
    OL

Debbolas
    Ya know these bears now a days, not like the bears, back when I was a kid. Friendly, Smokey Bear types...........These bears want candy, and once they have some............well they are hooked and want more. It's a viscous cycle.
    Scream and Scream Jr. are backpacking in the Mountains this weekend through the next and they had to buy bear boxes. They are going by Yosemite. So all their food has to go into these "barrels" and fit into their backpacks. (not easy)

Scream
    Scream and Scream Jr. are backpacking in the Mountains this weekend through the next and they had to buy bear boxes. They are going by Yosemite. So all their food has to go into these "barrels" and fit into their backpacks. (not easy)
    Actually we're camping in the 20 lakes basin in Tuolomne meadows and day hiking to North Dome, The Conness Glacier and a bunch of other geologic sites close by. Bears will see an ice chest in your car and pry it open because they know there's good stuff inside, just by sight. They also love smells, whether it's sweets, meats, or hand lotion, they love smells. Most campgrounds offer bear boxes, and if your lucky enough to get room inside one of them you've got it made, they'll never get your shit. We bought bear canisters for this trip, so we should be just fine.

PlyaPlya22
    What campground were you at? We are going up that way in a couple weeks.
    They were at Pumice Flats.

gramps
    next time we go campin' I gonna have my son-in-law sleep in our big ice chest!!!!!!

BoatFloating
    Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh My!!!!! :2purples:

Backtanner
    Is this the same bear that polished off a case and a half of Rainier?

PlyaPlya22
    next time we go campin' I gonna have my son-in-law sleep in our big ice chest!!!!!!
    Gramps make it an extra big cooler, so I can send the in laws

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12