Thread: Distributor clearance on a 455 olds with Tunnel Ram?

455Olds
    I am having a difficult time finding a replacement for the stock distributor on my '76 455 olds. I would like to switch to an electronic set-up. Perferably higher output after market like MSD, etc.
    Problem: The high rise offenhauser tunnel is extremely tight with my stock distributor, and no aftermarket one I've tried has cleared... someone out there must have had the same clearance issue, no?

Floored
    my tunnel cleared the Mallory comp 9000 and a stock gm points dist with no prob. no room for an HEI though.

I'd save your money and go with a Mallory dual point (or single point) with a good coil on an olds. It will fit and they're reasonably priced by comparison to an MSD or similar setup. And are reliable as hell.
    The high zoom electronics aren't neceasary at 5k rpm range and will give you no power advantage. If you were turning 6-7K rpm I'd give you different advice as that's the range the electronics start shining and become an advantage over the stock stuff.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Do like I did. Take your distributor out and have a shop put 10 degrees in it.lock it out and weld it up. Then buy crane cams ignitor kit for $69. Drop it in less than 10 minutes and your done! I did that to mine and its reliable and it costs less than pertronics ignitor kit. then you have clearance