Thread: IMI Hi-Torque Marine Starter

I bought my starter (IMI Hi-Torque Marine Starter) just under a year ago and took the boat out locally on Friday and just heard one click and no start. It did this for about 10 trys and then finally started. Anyone have a clue on whats happening the engine was not hot and the starter worked great 2 weeks ago at the river. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Can be several different things...
    Most common are...
    A loose connection or corroded ground on a bat cable or at engine connection.
    A voltage drop from the ign switch not supplying enough voltage to trigger the solenoid.
    Moisture inside the starter reaking havoc.
    The above are the most common. If it is a starter problem and not a supply problem IMI may give some warranty consideration on it. Just give us a call if you need some assistance in that regard. We use a lot of IMI's and have very few problems with them. But check all the electrical connections well first before you blame the starter. Many times these things are not the starter but a wiring deterioration problem.

Can be several different things...
    Most common are...
    A loose connection or corroded ground on a bat cable or at engine connection.
    A voltage drop from the ign switch not supplying enough voltage to trigger the solenoid.
    Moisture inside the starter reaking havoc.
    The above are the most common. If it is a starter problem and not a supply problem IMI may give some warranty consideration on it. Just give us a call if you need some assistance in that regard. We use a lot of IMI's and have very few problems with them. But check all the electrical connections well first before you blame the starter. Many times these things are not the starter but a wiring deterioration problem.

Mike
    I left you a message at Rex. Took the boat out of storage and I am still having problems with the starter.

Southwind, if you have access to a digital volt meter and an assistant to turn the key, you can narrow your search for the problem considerably. If interested let me know and I'll type the instructions.(feeling kinda lazy right now )

72Hallett
    Come on Jerry, Just bust out the Chevy wrench. That should fix it. LOL

Come on Jerry, Just bust out the Chevy wrench. That should fix it. LOL
    Jeff you're the only guy that I have seen that has a tool box full of hammers. I must say though you have the whole Chevy wrench thing down to a science.

Norseman
    Check all the electrical connections, chances are it's one of them, that includes where the starter mounts to the engine. :frown:
    Pull everything apart clean it up and put it back together.
    If the Chevy hammer deal works it's usually the ground connection from the starter body and the block. :hammer2: