Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banks twin turbo

88budman
    I have a Southwind 18' with a 460. I just did some trading for a Banks twin turbo set up. Just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with one of these, and how hard it is to rig up.

Ken F
    I have a Southwind 18' with a 460. I just did some trading for a Banks twin turbo set up. Just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with one of these, and how hard it is to rig up.
    Unchained who posts here often built a twin setup for his boat. He'd probably be the best one to talk to about it that I can think of.
    If you decide it's too much for you, let me know-I'd probably be interested in buying it from you.
    Ken F

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Unchained who posts here often built a twin setup for his boat. He'd probably be the best one to talk to about it that I can think of.
    If you decide it's too much for you, let me know-I'd probably be interested in buying it from you.
    Ken F
    that little test ride in unchained's boat made a believer out of you too huh I know it convinced me :wink:
    Omega

bigriverdog
    If there is a turbo you have tried, surely there is a piston you have fried. Unless you have an unlimited supply of that green stuff to through at your project, I would recommend mounting those turbos on the garage wall as "Wall Art".
    I have had lots of experience on street motors and it was a costly learning curve. If you only spool those things up to 4-6 lbs it might live with the proper retarded distributor and enriched carburation. Any boost over that will require a very strong bottom end with a good set of pistons, valves, etc. Cam overlap is of the optimum if you want to avoid detonation. Turbos work better with small cams.
    I would call Gale Banks in Los Angeles and get some info before you proceed. I know an engine builder and a sales person from there if you need further assisstance.

MKEELINE
    I have some Banks diagrams and information. PM me a fax number and I'll send it to you.

superdave013
    firt off, that's a very old system and Banks won't even talk to you about them any longer.
    Don't let that scare you. Those old Banks systems are pretty simple and work great.
    It's not fair to comapre it to the system that Unchained built. Light years apart. Still they are nice and very drivable.
    obnoxious001 here on the forums is the guy to talk to about them. He worked at Banks back in the day when they were building those. His e mail agt001@aol.com and his name is Barry.

LakesOnly
    058 has a twin turbo 460...no 02 sensors or anything...works fine.
    PM him.
    LO

Nucking futs
    We had a pfm twin turbo system on a 18' southwind formula 1 t-deck back in the day.We would run bullhead and my old man had a heavy foot and it ran like a bat out of hell.The boat ran in the high 90's and i have one memory of that boat,we were racing a shovel nose hydro and we walked that guy hard and almost lost my little bro when we hit some rough stuff,i grabbed him by the life jacket and pulled him back in and my pops didnt even know what had happened.
    Back to the turbo,they take alot of maintnance,alway let the turbos cool down after a hard run and idle it for a while before you shut it down.They need alot of oil changes too.Not a bad system, but im no pro,i will let the pros chime in here.I just wanted to tell me story.........Tim

This little blurb is kinda cool. Make sure you read part II though..........it's where he discusses some of the parts that went away on him til he got it right.
    20 yr old turbos part I (http://www.rvpower.com/BraggingRights_turbooldies.cfm)
    20 yr old turbos part II (http://www.rvpower.com/BraggingRights_turbooldies2.cfm)

058 has a twin turbo 460...no 02 sensors or anything...works fine.
    PM him.
    LOAs Lakes said, I run a Banks T/Turbo-intercooled set-up on a 460 Ford in my Hondo V-drive. What would you like to know?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast