Thread: What CC are the D3ve A2A heads

Hydro-Thunder
    Just wondering if all D3ve A2A heads were 92cc or if some were larger? I am rebuilding my 460 .060 over with flat top pistons decked pretty close to 0 and am trying to figure out comp. Any ideas?
    Jesse

LakesOnly
    Just wondering if all D3ve A2A heads were 92cc or if some were larger? I am rebuilding my 460 .060 over with flat top pistons decked pretty close to 0 and am trying to figure out comp. Any ideas?
    Jesse
    As-cast, they are about 95-96 cc's. 4.42" bored 460 will net you about 9.5:1 with flat tops and D3's.
    If you are trying to be accurate, it would be in your best interest to cc those combustion chambers. For every .010" the D3 heads are milled, you lose about 3 cc's; do you know the machine history of your heads? BOTH of them?
    To get 10:1 with your bore & deck, you will need about 88cc's of combuston chamber volume. That would be a nice head with a little port work...
    LO

Hydro-Thunder
    I only know a little about these heads. They are pretty stock other than adjustable rockers and the current rebuild. The builder said he cc'd them and came out to 97-98cc that is why I am asking. I have had a problem with Detonation and don’t want to make that mistake again. I think I need to learn a little more about fine-tuning the carb that I have on it. It is a Edelbrock 750 marine carb the 1410 Primary .113, Secondary .107; Metering Rods: .071 x .047. Step-Up Spring: orange. So it is bone stock.
    Jesse

LakesOnly
    Not surprised to hear the cc volume of those heads.
    Zero-decking the block is important for reducing detonation possibility, as it makes better use of the head's quench pad. Timing, fuel quality, a/f ratio and of course c/r will also affect your chances of detonation. But with 97 cc heas and zero deck block, you chances of ping are NIL, assuming all else is set properly. Also, it is not likely you heads have been shaved much at all.
    I'd guess you are at about 9.3:1 c/r per your specs. BBF's need more than the stock compression. You;'s will work fine, just don't overcam. Personally, I'd want a few more tenths of a point in c/r for a jet.
    Don't know your intentions with the motor, but consider taking .010" off the heads and getting .038" head gaskets. That should put you roughly in the 9.5:1 ballpark...
    LO

Hydro-Thunder
    I run the performer RPM cam 0.556 0.581 with 108 lobe sep. Stealth manifold and 750 carb. What do you think about this cam?

LakesOnly
    I run the performer RPM cam 0.556 0.581 with 108 lobe sep. Stealth manifold and 750 carb. What do you think about this cam?
    That cam and your combo should work well together. Start ignition timing at 32* BTDC @ 3000 rpm. Jet carb as per plug readings. You should be set.
    It MAY be possible to get more power with increased timing advance when using those D3 heads*, investigate this carefully, as increased timing will require richening your carburetor fuel circuits in order to maintain correct a/f ratio. If, during this investigation, you see no increase in power/engine rpm, BACK THE TIMING OFF.
    It would not surpise me if your engine ran better at 36* BTDC@3000 or even more, but again, this requires a day at the lake dedicted to testing, not playing.
    LO
    * I hypothezize that the D3VE heads require more timing advance to make up for their .100" deeper combustion chambers...

Hydro-Thunder
    Ok now it is time for a tuning lesson. How do you tune on hte water? Do you run wot then shut down right away or do you run back to the shore? Paint me a quick picture?
    Jesse