Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini Hi-torque Starter

WETDAWG
    Ive ben having a heck of a time liting up my BBF this year. I know my starter is toast and am thinking of replacing it with one of those mini hi-torque jobbers. i saw one on E bay for around $70. Anybody had any experience with them? I am running a low mount starter. I will be in the parking lot of AVI on 8/3 replacing the stater....I am trying to get BBTAHITI to help but he would rather go Boating.........bummer for me

Jet Junk
    Those high torque starters really help alot, but if you are gonna get one, I would reccomend a Ford designed (oe type) planetary gear reduction starter off of something like an early 90's 460. The aftermarket ones (basically a hitachi jap car starter w/ custom end frame) work, but they aren't as reliable. We have built quite a few of the oe style starters and they seem to last alot longer than the hitachi style......Tommy

Jet Junk
    Double post
    [ July 22, 2002, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Jet Junk ]

Jet Junk
    Stupid computer
    [ July 22, 2002, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Jet Junk ]

WETDAWG
    Thanks for the great advice. I have always liked OE stuff and think I will go that route. It's pretty hard to push start your jet boat.
    Thanks again
    Ted

WETDAWG
    Well I got the starter. I am gonna bring the old standby just in case.
    I cant wait to finish my yard so I can bring the boat home.
    ted

Jungle Boy
    I've been running GM mini-starters for some time and they don't like to get wet too much. I spray mine down with WD-40 or silicone spray before and after each run. They do not have sealed bearings and tend to rust and slowly lose their cranking power.

BBTAHITI
    WETDAWG:
    Ive ben having a heck of a time liting up my BBF this year. I know my starter is toast and am thinking of replacing it with one of those mini hi-torque jobbers. i saw one on E bay for around $70. Anybody had any experience with them? I am running a low mount starter. I will be in the parking lot of AVI on 8/3 replacing the stater....I am trying to get BBTAHITI to help but he would rather go Boating.........bummer for me Ya know, I could make it out Friday night, sleep in the truck and help you get Wethawg done on Saturday. And, I've still got 1 1/2 tanks in the Tahiti!
    BBT

WETDAWG
    BBTahiti,
    YOU the man! What a great offer! Are you gonna bring Eric? how about Mr Coors?
    I'll call ya and we'll talk. Margie thinks it will be a romantic weekend.
    Yeah I can see it now, 120 degree heat, in the parking lot, under an E-Z up, me drinking brewskis, yelling at the darn boat, scraping all my knuckles, getting pissed off and finally fixing old Wet Dawg.
    Come to think of it , if she opens the beer, that could be romantic. hahahahahahahahahahah I am a pig!

INFINITEJJ
    Ted,
    I have the same problem putting the fire to the slightly built 460 of mine. PLEASE let me know how it turns out. I was going to replace my starter anyways, but I also want to do it right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast