Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on removing my Pump

cave
    From my Kachina? I pulled the engine out to replace the rear main seal. I gave the pump a turn and it sounds like metal to metal grinding in some spots. Kinda like a scrape scrape sound in one spot.
    This may be why my H bar heated up so much that it melted the rear main bearing seal.
    There isnt much room behind the pump & the bowl. Any tips will be appreciated. Either way I'm going in.
    The Pump Is a Berkely JG. in a 18.5 Kachina
    http://members.cox.net/jetboater454/berkely_jg_pump.jpg
    As you can see there isnt much room for a wrench. I can cut and weld a wrench if I have to. Hopefully someone here has done it and has some tips.
    Thanks.

Duane HTP
    Just take the transom housing off from the back, then unbolt the pump from the floor and it will slide right out the back of the boat.
    From what you are describing, be sure to check your crankshaft thrust bearing. The thrust bearing may have gone out of the pump letting everything come forward far enough to put pressure on the engine thrust bearing, thus causing enough heat to wipe out the real main seal.

GlastronGuy
    There isn't much room in many boats. I had to cut down a wrench and drill a hole in the handle to get my motor mount bolts out.
    I put sting through the hole so that when I drop the wrench I can pull on the string to get it back.

cave
    I did pull the crank out and checked the bearing's and end play on rods & mains. Everything looks and specs out ok. the guy next door is a GM Mechanic and he couldnt resist checking it all for me. I did however find that the flashing from a few counter balance's that had spun off. I pulled some off the botom of the pan and my heart stopped. Seams that the cranks had this on most of the balancers. I clean them up myself. The flashing was like an inch long on most and very thin.
    http://members.cox.net/jetboater454/crankshaft1.jpg
    The cam seaqms fine too no lobs missing. I checked most of what I could and thankfully my new buddy next door helped out on that end too.

cave
    Awe I forgot, Thanks guys!!!

TIMINATOR
    If you need the pump done, I'm local and stock most parts. I can also r&r it for you. Also COMPLETE engine machinework. TIMINATOR 623-877-8553

cave
    Thanks Tim. Once I get it out I'll know weather I can handle this or not. I'll keep your # just in case.

TIMINATOR
    Were here 9-5:30 M-F and 9-1:00 Sat if ya need anything. Thanks

Are you spamming Tim? I was under the impression that you didn't do that.

TIMINATOR
    I figured if it was ok for Duane,Jack,Walt,POPS 1, Rexone,etc,etc,etc,why not? besides I'm local. TIMINATOR :rollside:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast