Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley Pump Question

83Dana454
    I spent the weekend at Naci and ran into some trouble. When I first started the boat after launching after about 5 seconds of the engine running I heard a kind of growling noise which lasted about 5 seconds then the noise stopped. Everything was fine with the boat for the next few hours then when getting up on plane the pump cavitated, I let off the throttle and did it again and it was up on plane then in about 20 seconds I started to feel a vibration and the boat started to slow down. I headed towards the shore and when i let off the gas at the no wake zone there was some pretty loud clunking noises coming from the pump. When I looked at the pump water was coming in pretty quickly though the front of the pump. I am in the process of removing the pump from the boat and have a few questions. When I looked in though the intake at the impeller I was expecting to see it and the housing damaged considering the loud clunking that I observed but there was no damage to either. I'm guessing that the bearings are the cause of the noise so I am going to be replacing all bearings and seals. My question is from the pictures I have seen and what I have read on this site I have a different impeller and appears that I have no wear ring. Is the possible. I was told when purchasing the boat that it had a B Impeller in it. (The ID tag on the pump says it's a 12JC) When looking at it in the housing there is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch of clearence to the pump housing. The boat would run good before this concern happened. I will get some pictures posted tomorrow of the impeller. Thanks for any info.

steelcomp
    What did your drive line look like? Only place water is going to come in is around your shaft, through the packing. Did you loose the driveline and break the bearing housing on the puimp? This would cauase the shaft to "run out", ruining the packing, and just about everything else down line. Maybe your wear ring is welded to your impeller? Definately dosen't sound good. Get some pics up asap. We'll help you figure it out. I had sort of the same thing last year...felt a bad vibration all of a sudden, and got back to shore. Lost a cup off a u-joint. Lucky for me it didn't hurt anything serious. Made BAD noises.

83Dana454
    Driveline looks ok so far I haven't gotten it tore down very much today but looking in though the access hole at the u-joints nothing appeared broken and when I tried moving them back and forth to check for play there was none. The water was coming in though the packing and the pre load bolts were pretty loose (They weren't this way before the problem occured). I will get some pics up tomorrow but the impeller only has 3 blades on it there is cone type shape like I have seen in pictures and it appears to be new (no dings or damage of any kind)

steelcomp
    I'm not the most experienced guy here, but I've never heard of a 3 blade impeller. Are they concentric or does it look like one is missing? Sounds like you lost an impeller. It would be useful to find out what manufacturer your impeller was made by. It's unusual, but they do come apart. Any damage you might have is going to be in the bowl or in your nozzle housing. Sounds like pieces are missing. Your wear ring is probably in your bowl. You'll know more when you pull it off. Watch your toes!! :frown:

jweeks123
    maybe you are looking at an inducer and not seeeing the main impeller behind it. no wearring with the inducer
    jw

steelcomp
    maybe you are looking at an inducer and not seeeing the main impeller behind it. no wearring with the inducer
    jw
    See there...good thinkin.

Jim Brock
    It sounds like your front bearing went out, that brings your empeller forward eats the housing, your seals and packing , that would let the water come in the front of the pump, good luck hope i'am wrong, Jim

83Dana454
    Here's a couple pics I took of the impeller this morning....

dave186
    thats an inducer. the impeller is behind it.

hack job
    thats an inducer. the impeller is behind it. yup thats what that is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast