Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help on truck noise

Scape Goat
    sorry it not boat related, but it pulls the boat.
    My 93 chevy silverado is making a constant metal grinding sound.
    I check and change the drive shaft angle but no fix.
    It has 200,000 miles on eng and trans, but rear end was swamp at about 2,000 miles ago.
    it is heard threw passenger side only and seams to be getting more constant.
    IT really can be heard when the passenger side passes a wall or cars etc.
    this is the side with the exhaust.
    any idea's would be appreciated.
    thanks brian :idea:

Havasu Hangin'
    Wheel bearing?

cruser
    Disc brakes getting thin?
    cruzer

Sleek-Jet
    Does it sound like a wind up toy, or a scraping sound??

I had something similar on a 97 pickup I had. Got progressively louder...whine, but not your typical ring and pinion whine, but more of a whine you might hear from a transmission. It was the carrier bearings. Tore the rear end down and replaced all the bearings and loosened up the factory preload (which was way to tight imo) and all was good after. The carrier bearings were pretty much trashed and the pinion bearings not too far behind.
    Good luck.

Scape Goat
    I adjusted the drive shaft a little from the rear end .Thus by changing the angle.
    that did not remedy and now I have a deep pitch whine which is the shaft that needs to be adjusted a little more.
    The wife hung her head out the window says it coming from the front.
    Tomorrow I will check the pass. front bearing.
    p.s. i will change the brakes also since I have put 100,000 miles on them
    {no lie} But I know this sound is not the brakes I keep checking on them routinly. :rollside:

The way to id if it is rearend noise or not is to put the vehicle on a single post hoist or jack stands, put it in gear (2nd person please) and run it up to road speed. Using a mechanic's stethoscope place the probe at different bearing points on the rear end. You will hear the bad bearing growling if it is the rear end. Use some care in doing this and the proper stands (safety first). Tires will give you a hell of a rug burn. And do not "ever" place your body in front of a turning tire of a vehicle up on stands. Enter from the back of the vehicle if you're going to attempt this.
    Also a piece of vacuum hose in your ear works nicely as a poor man's mechanics stethoscope.

Sleek-Jet
    I had a similiar problem on my 89 F250 2wd. I could have sworn it was coming from the transmission. The grinding noise felt and sounded like it was just underneath the floor of the truck. It wasn't. The pinion bearings were smoked and the noise was traveling up the drive-shaft.
    I don't know if you have a 4wd or not but the front differential is always turning on that model of Chevy. Could be the bearings up front finally wearing out after being pushed around all these years.
    Another thing to check would be the bearings in the T-Case (if you have one). My brothers '93 suffers from the same problem and when we changed the drive chain you could feel the slop in the planetary gears, makes a bunch of noise sometimes.

Scape Goat
    thanks for the info guys. Yet to have time to check it out.
    The truck is 2wheel drive.
    brian

Sleek-Jet
    thanks for the info guys. Yet to have time to check it out.
    The truck is 2wheel drive.
    brian
    Well I guess that eliminates the t-case and front differential.
    Keep us posted on what you find. :clover:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast