Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford heads????

dave186
    go with the GT40s if you are on a budget, ported out they arent that bad. they are what are on my 95 lightning. if you gots da cash get a set of AFRs, they are all the rage right now.

78Eliminator
    You planning on running your efi? if so cleveland heads wont work unless you weld up an intake for them, or espoxy holmes.
    Yup. I should have been more clear. I have a 86 Bronco with an EFI 302, manual trans yadda yadda. When I bought it, she was a basket case. I bought it, cause I hate myself and instead of sticking shards of broken glass in my eyes, I try to resurrect cars that are worthless, running or not. So, all I gain is the experience of dealing with a basket case.
    Anyway, I was running super duper rich, and I had no idea why. The exhaust fumes would burn my eyes, like I was standing behind an blown alky hydro. So I did a leak down and found that the two middle cans on the passenger side would not hold air, and both the plugs were fouled. So I pulled off the rocker arms, filled the cans with air, and banged on the valves with a copper hammer. Low an behold, the valves seated and I got a good leakage reading. So mean while, I decide to pull of the intake manifold. I figure, while I am at it, I should get new gaskets everywhere since it's:
    A: Running rich
    B: Two cans are fouled
    C: Shaking like a vibrating bed at idle
    So I pull the manifold off and snap a couple rotten bolts. So now the heads need to come off so I can helicoil all the messed up threads. So that's where I am now. I went to the junk yard and got two new injectors to replace the ones that were shooting into the cans that were fouling. Also checked the heads for warping and cracks, etc. So I am at the point where I start putting it back together, and was wondering if I should find some nice heads. In all honesty, I should just run the ones I have. That way, I will really be able to find out if I determined the reason it was running rich and fouling two cans. If this doesn't work, then it might be the distributor module or the CPS. Fun times.. :jawdrop:

LakesOnly
    Damn Lakes, those are purdy. You can even see all three angles in the seats. Do they have the thremactor exhaust ports in the back?
    No thermactor, nor the bumps for it. In fact, the exhaust ports (middle photo) are better (as-cast) than any of the factory BBF iron in the US.
    I guess Blown has a point about the manifold, and being in Califrornia you need to pass smog I suppose...?
    LO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12