Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Danger--Your Prop!

BajaMike
    With all the recent publicity and the possible new law regarding teak surfing and the dangers of carbon monoxide in the back of boats, it seems a lot of boaters arenÂ’t aware of the extreme danger of the propeller, which injures and kills far more people every year then the rare death from carbon monoxide.
    A couple examplesÂ….
    While sitting on my balcony at the Nautical Inn a few weeks ago, I watched a man with a 25Â’ Shockwave push the boat off the beach, wade out and turn the boat around, so the stern was towards the beach, push off a few feet, then jump in, sit at the controls and start the engine. Then his wife and two young daughters proceeded to swim out and climb in the back of the boat by the swim stepÂ…with the engine running!!??
    I’m sure dad would say…”well, I had it in neutral”. So he bumps the shift lever and kills his wife or cuts off his daughter’s leg?
    Later that day, while sitting in the channel, there are about 6 people on an open bow, inboard wakeboard boat. They decide to go to the other side of the channel. There is one guy standing on the big teak swim step, and two girls sitting on the step with their legs in the water. Without even looking behind the boat, the driver starts the engine, asks a guy in the open bow to push him off, and he starts backing out. The guy at the front then hangs onto the front of the boat, with half is body in the water, as the driver turns around and idles across the channel. If the guy looses his grip, heÂ’s hamburger!
    My rule: Never start your engine or run your engine if anyone is in the water at the rear of your boat (or standing on the swim step or sitting on the swim step, or obviously, dangling from the boat in any way).
    Also, before I start my boat, I always check the water behind the boat and warn swimmers that I am about to back out, and make sure they move away.
    Does anyone disagree?
    :argue:

ahhell
    i follow those same rules....and i got a jet, just would hate to blast my sons nuts off

Boatcop
    Does anyone disagree?
    You won't get any argument from me.
    I've seen the result of prop vs. flesh too many times.
    The prop always wins.

F26
    they seem to win even when they arent spinning....damn cleavers

OGShocker
    Kilrtoy and Scream are noticeably absent from this thread..... :idea:

Kim Hanson
    Its not the prop, it the ******** behind the wheel that would do that crap..........( . )( . ).........I have 3 girls, no damage to anyone some far!

BarryMac
    I'm with Ahhell, i've got a jet and I am always the last one in the boat, that way no one gets hurt but me...
    gjb

Kilrtoy
    While sitting on my balcony at the Nautical Inn a few weeks ago, I watched a man with a 25Â’ Shockwave push the boat off the beach, wade out and turn the boat around, so the stern was towards the beach, push off a few feet, then jump in, sit at the controls and start the engine. Then his wife and two young daughters proceeded to swim out and climb in the back of the boat by the swim stepÂ…with the engine running!!?
    I cant believe someone is THAT STUPID. Pleae post a pic of this boat if you took one...
    DUMB ASS
    Im hear and a prop that is not in motion REALLY HURTS

JetBoatRich
    darn prop boats you have to watch out for them
    you can get hurt with any boat, how about when the nut behind the wheel thinks it would be funny to turn up some water with the jet and sucks up the crap on the bottom and shoots his FRIENDS/FAMILY with it :yuk:

Dr. Eagle
    My rule: Never start your engine or run your engine if anyone is in the water at the rear of your boat (or standing on the swim step or sitting on the swim step, or obviously, dangling from the boat in any way).
    Also, before I start my boat, I always check the water behind the boat and warn swimmers that I am about to back out, and make sure they move away.
    Does anyone disagree?
    :argue:
    No disagreement. Good rule!
    My rule, always remember where your outdrive(s) are when jumping in the water. My little "scrape" cost me a year off of work, my job and ultimately I had to sell the boat. Now I have a little 21 footer, and I jump off the side...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast