Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Motor size suggestion

VIPER
    Sorry dog
    It's an early 80's motor.
    Boat Racer
    The transom on my boat is mint and we are renforcing it. I am going to look into dual cable steering. I have a jackplate and the lower unit is being done this week.I'm not sure what props I have,I'll have to take a look when I get to the shop.
    I'm putting it on today so pics will be comming SOON!!!

VIPER
    I have a couple questions for you guys.
    1) I'm not sure where to set my jackplate,yes it's a manual one.
    What is the best way to measure?
    2)Should I put a gas tank up front for weight?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    P.S.
    This thing is looking BADASS!!!! Kim your right,it's all about the look!

Kim Hanson
    Thanks,
    Jim
    P.S.
    This thing is looking BADASS!!!! Kim your right,it's all about the look!
    I have mine even with my pad, guage is saying 3/4 the way up. Start 1" below and experiment with it. My gas tank it at the back, right in the middle of the rails and battery also!, but I have 85 lb sand bag in the very front. It just helps making it come down fast after take off......( . )( . )........ :2purples:

Tom Brown
    My understanding is that on a v-pad, you want to start about an inch below the pad and work up in small increments. Your bow lift should go up until until you hit a certain point and then it will not be able to carry the bow at that height.
    As always, be careful. These things will bite you with a hard left turn when you least expect it.
    Our boats are similar but nothing close to identical. I have three fuel tanks in my hull. Two are in the stern pods and one 15 gallon tank up front. It seems to handle best when the rear tanks are empty and the bow tank is about 1/2 full.
    I would encourage you to speak with Viper other owners before you make any modifications.
    Keep us posted!
    -- Tom

VIPER
    Here's a couple pics,The cover still has to be blocked out and buffed and then lettered. I haven't put it in the water yet,still a couple things to do. Where is the best place to get a dual steering system? Should I put solid motor mounts in? If so where should I get them? Thanks!
    Jim

Tom Brown
    Looks fantastic, Jim!
    Rex Marine can get you a dual cable steering setup in a couple of brands. I went with the Teleflex NFB system and am quite happy with it.
    -- Tom

powerplay230
    Viper that looks like a lot of fun,
    Couple of things I would definately do before running it-
    Dual steering, solid motor mounts- will help handling and not much $$, make sure you have a Oh Shit switch, maybe move your trim switch to the steering wheel or foot if you doing hot foot just so you can keep both hands on the wheel. I would imagine that lil monster will definately be trying to steer for you. :sqeyes:
    Have fun bet that Viper will be flying!
    Rick

Tom Brown
    Oh yeah... don't forget you'll need a torque tab on that gear case. :supp:

ratso
    Viper...if you get bored with that motor, I have a 2.6 Evinrude I'll sell you...should be good for at least another 10 mph...

powerplay230
    Yeah what Tom said...I thought of the torque tab 2 seconds after I posted. If motor has had nose cone and low water pickup put on it they may have done that too. Helps a little with the torque steer! Wonder how many jet skiers are going to piss themselves when he blasts by??

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast