Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castiac or Pyramid ??

75_Elim
    I finally have a day off this coming Tuesday to get my boat out and I want to be sure I pick the best place to play. This will only be my second time out running a jet boat and I'm looking for plenty of room to make mistakes and to be able to air it out to see what she can do. All suggestions and jet boat tips will be welcome !
    Thanks
    75 Eliminator

LS7
    I haven't been to both in ages, but consider the high altitude at Pyramid.
    LS7

Old Charger
    So, when you say play, are we talking with just the boat or with toys like skis and tubes? If skis and tubes, definately go to Pyramid. If just the boat, both are good places.
    Pyramid does have the altitude, but I've never found that a problem. Was just there this past Tues. 8-14. Practically no one there. Fairly smooth water, no patrol in sight. Wind does pick up there once in a while.
    Castaic is good for long straight fast runs especially in the "ski" arm. Always patrol in sight. Small chop is constant. Its closer though and no altitude change.
    Both have the 35 mph speed limit, but if you keep it low key you can blast at both. Less likely to get busted at Pyramid. I do get occasionally hassled at the launch ramp though. I think the aqua cop there has a hard on for me. Actually its probably because of my old boat with the AZ tags and the primered 4x4 tow vehicle!
    Me? I'd spend the extra 15 min. to go to Pyramid. But thats just me.
    [This message has been edited by Old Charger (edited August 18, 2001).]

75_Elim
    Thanks for the insight.... I think it might be Castaic this time. How are the crowds on a weekday ?

Hustler
    What Crouds?
    Hustler

Old Charger
    Exactly....

Old charger,
    Does pyramid still have a limit on the amount of boats they will let on the lake, or am I thinking of somewhere else? I could have sworn we went there once a they did not let us in because they were full (maybe it was just us) so we went to Castaic.

Old Charger
    Hey Old Rigger,
    Yeah, theres still a boat limit in effect. I can't remember the number, but its fairly high. I've only been shut out once because of the limit. That was on 4th of July weekend though. Otherwise they hardly ever hit the boat limit.
    Now the jetski limit is a whole 'nother thing. On the weekend, those guys have to show up at like 4am to get in!

Chestah Cheetah
    The limit is reached at Pyramid often, at that time, they implement a "one off, one on" deal. It might take up to an hour to get on though. Jet Skiers HAVE to camp out in line the night before.

Old Charger
    Hmmm.. guess I've been lucky to get there early enough to not see them hit the limit all that much! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif But they were doing that one on one off deal on 4th of July. We just bailed to Castaic..
    I've heard its a pretty good deal if you camp in the campgrounds next to the lake. Those guys get let in first at 6am before anyone in line...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast