Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: motor trouble!!!

wet77
    Having some trouble getting the motor on my friends boat started
    Went throught the basics
    I have spark to each plug, the hei control modual has been tested 10 times and is good, the timing was not moved since it ran last time out.
    There is fuel, carb was rebuilt last year and still looks new, fuel at correct hight in bowls, baseplate gasket was checked and sealed of any leaks.
    Fuel can be seen spraying out of choke area clean spray no clogs.
    Problem in hei cap where pin from coil meets rotor the pin was burned and melted so new cap and rotor was installed.
    Owner probably left key on.
    Still will not start does anyone have a starting and charging diagram I can look at maybe he hooked some wires up wrong when installing his new starter :idea:
    Any help guys would be great I spent most of today working on it without any luck
    Motor turns over but just will not even pop or backfire or anything :burningm:
    HELP!!!

Jordy
    OK, where is the timing set? That would be a key component right behind the spark and air/fuel. What about the firing order? Did the wires get put back in the right place when the cap was swapped? What about the valves? Have you pulled the valve covers to see what's going on there? If the distributor is moving, that means the cam is moving, but could it have jumped? There has to be something simple that's being overlooked here. What about compression?

Jordy
    I just wanted to say thanks to the chickenshit who gave me this comment and a negative rating:
    Your a turd chaser not a tuner dork
    Funny, with everyone else who's looked at this thread, even the chickenshit tough guy who didn't sign his name, where are the other suggestions???
    Why not sign your name pussy? :idea:
    Oh, and I've got a pretty good idea who it was based on some other posts that occured around the same time.

moneysucker
    Check the spark plug wiring on the cap. I have screwed up this way and got nothing. that is the only thing I can think of and since it is getting spark on all plugs the rotor is turning. Firing order is the best I can come up with.

Snowboat
    Stupid as this may sound........did you remember which way the motor sits in the boat, some forward and some backward. I wired one for a truck instead of a runner bottom.

sanger rat
    Water in the gas. Try pouring some fresh gas down the carb and see if it fires.

bigkatboat
    Jordan, you were not born knowing all of this 'stuff', neither were ANY of us! Those who choose to 'look down on you' for taking on a difficult project (your own boat) and learning how these "speed boats" work are (in my opinion) trying to close the door on ' free speech' and freedom of expression. I was not born with the (limited) knowledge that I have about these areas, but I learned to keep my mouth shut around "jackasses" who 'know way more' but do way less. I offer the idea that you do what you 'need' to do and let the "know it all's" keep talking. Advise from an old former General Motors (Delco Moraine) Engineering Proving Grounds engine design engineer, multiple world championships in drag boats, and multiple champions in ski racing. You 'gotta' start somewhere, why not here? I wish I had these forums back 30 years ago!

wet77
    If his gas gauge works it shows E :cry:
    There is still gas in the carb but if he is this low on fuel maybe the octane is not there or water in fuel
    I will check that first in the morning.
    The wiring stayed the same the motor ran last time it was at my house and when I replaced his burned out cap i just left all the wires on the ring that clips to the coil on the top of the distributor.
    The plug wires were never removed since I last heard it run so they should be in the right order but I will double check to make sure
    Thanks for the ideas keep em coming
    Also anyone have a starting and charging diagram

moneysucker
    Jordan, I haven't gotten that kind of remark but I am just some dumb ass kid who builds boats in a dirt lot. Of course my boat will spank the crap out of most people who would say anything which wouldn't say a whole lot about their knowledge. but these forums aren't always supportive of others trying to help out a fellow boater. Even pointing out stupid things can actually help more than the totally technical. It is usually the dumb stuff that will stump you because everyone is trained to look for the obvious. Keep giving people advise and it is always nice when you actually help someone to solve a problem.

Jordy
    Jordan, I haven't gotten that kind of remark but I am just some dumb ass kid who builds boats in a dirt lot. Of course my boat will spank the crap out of most people who would say anything which wouldn't say a whole lot about their knowledge. but these forums aren't always supportive of others trying to help out a fellow boater. Even pointing out stupid things can actually help more than the totally technical. It is usually the dumb stuff that will stump you because everyone is trained to look for the obvious. Keep giving people advise and it is always nice when you actually help someone to solve a problem.
    I realize all of that. Funny thing, this internet tough guy who knows everything didn't offer his brilliant solution to the problem. Tells me he doesn't know a carb, I mean his ass from a hole in the ground.
    Sad thing, it's bullshit like this that chases people who actually might just know a thing or two off the boards because it isn't worth the hassle/pissing match with people who don't know a ****ing thing.
    I figure it's something simple and silly that's being overlooked, and that's where I started.
    Is there anyway to measure fuel pressure? If the accelerator pumps are squirting fuel, that could just be residual fuel in the bowls. How about, as was pointed out, the fuel level? The pump? Electric, mechanical? A fuel pressure gauge would be handy right about now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast