Thread: Grand Lake

Seadog
    I was perusing the Chronicles at Bubba's Saturday and discovered that GRDA are holding noise abatement discussions soon. Apparently some retired busybodies at Patrica Island, with too much money and time on their hands, are trying to get them to enforce 90 db at 50 ft.
    Now I am all for quiet at night on the lake, but I have never seen any real problems there. There are a few idiots out there, but the noise is a low priority compared to the idiots in the big cruisers that try to run over the smaller boats by ignoring right-a-way and common sense. If noise was a major issue, then we should ban bass boats before 8:00 a.m.
    I think it would be prudent for the performance boaters around Grand to attend the meetings and see to it that a workable solution is found. There probably needs to be some concessions made, but more along the lines of controlling the major idiots. It may require banning high performance runs within a certain distance of shore/docks or something.
    If we are going to get into attacking boater groups, I think they should make the 30+ ft displacement/semi-displacement hulls stay near the center of the lake and if they stray outside the center, they have to reduce speed to low wake. There is nothing I hate more than being near shore and some 40'-50' cruiser or two pins me between them and shore and they have a 4' wake. And the only reason they are doing it is to cut a few seconds off their travel time. Hell, if you are in a floating house, why try to make a speed run?

Seadog
    They passed an ordinance saying that a boat cannot exceed 90 dbA within 50 feet of a dock and as I understand it, cannot exceed 90 dbA within 50 feet anywhere on the lake between 9:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. It sounds like a compromise that I hope people can live with. Knowing Grand, I doubt if there will be too much problems for the boaters except for the granny mafia calling in complaints that will get investigated and dropped.

switchin'addiction
    Is it just me or are these noise police hitting everywhere?

paradigm shift
    Is it just me or are these noise police hitting everywhere?
    Not just you. Noise laws have been there in most states but really never inforced. With the increase in population and popularity of performance boating (the last bastion unrestricted for speed junkies) it was just a matter of time. High population of retired that do not performance boat on a water way make it worse. Start looking for mufflers you will need them later if not sooner.
    Speed limits will be next if people (boaters) do not find some common sense and quit killing each other in boating accidents. Life vests will be manditory to wear all the time soon also. It is unbelievable the number of people that peformance boat with NO life vest or KILL swtch (lanyard) attached.
    Not to seem all doom and gloom but boating is changing and will never go back. I almost to the point of buying that cruiser!!

switchin'addiction
    Not just you. Noise laws have been there in most states but really never inforced. With the increase in population and popularity of performance boating (the last bastion unrestricted for speed junkies) it was just a matter of time. High population of retired that do not performance boat on a water way make it worse. Start looking for mufflers you will need them later if not sooner.
    Speed limits will be next if people (boaters) do not find some common sense and quit killing each other in boating accidents. Life vests will be manditory to wear all the time soon also. It is unbelievable the number of people that peformance boat with NO life vest or KILL swtch (lanyard) attached.
    Not to seem all doom and gloom but boating is changing and will never go back. I almost to the point of buying that cruiser!!
    Not doom & gloom there, just the honest truth sad to say!