Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crate Motor

Taylorman
    Taylorman, Were are you Located?
    Im in Louisiana but thanks anyway.
    Im thinking your boat would be a good 80mph boat on the motor with just a 502/502, maybe more.
    That statement gives me wood.
    I think Taylorman is in the middle of or near a SH#T Storm headin right for him BUMMER. Be safe Taylorman
    Actually we missed it. Ive been on the internet today looking at the damage. Gulf Shores, Al and Pensacola, Fl are demolished. Gulf Shores got the worst. So sad because we were there just last month for the offshore boat races and its such a nice place. The news said that water from the ocean has come inland for over a mile.
    Just some food for thought... Im putting together a NA 540. If you keep an eye out for good deals and buy good parts either new or used, you can get a lot more motor than your budget would have allowed had you paid for everything retail. The only thing I have bought used so far were a carb, manifold, and block, and I've saved about 1500 bucks and have some serious parts for my motor.
    If you don't mind me asking, how much do you anticipate spending on your motor. I am putting a cap at the 502 price of $7500. I can always upgrade it later for more hp but it think for the price of the ZZ502 or the Merlin 509, they are hard to pass up.
    I am the guy placecraft 20 wrote about, with the ZZ502.
    All I can tell you as far as the difference in the 509 and the 502 is generally the block the GM 502 block is bored and finish honed to 4.447 and can only be overbored 1 time to 5.00 . The 509 blocks usually are a bowtie block and can be overbored several times and use the older style covers (timingchain, ect). I have put over 200 hours on my ZZ502, most of it has been run between 4500 and 5400 rpm. The 502 does come with a suggested redline of 5800 and I have never seen in my boat over 5600. I did follow the break in directions and put at least 20 hours on it before ever really holding it wide open. Good luck and enjoy.
    Not to disagree with you but Infomaniac said in another post that the Gen VI blocks could be bored to 4.6 and the Merlins could be bored to 4.625 and maybe more.
    Thanks for all the info. This is a great thread. Very informative from real world experience.
    Im most likely going to lean toward the Merlin when im ready to buy. I think it offers more potential for upgrades down the road. Im gonna take baby steps.
    Olds-Merlin 509-Blown Merlin 509.
    Im getting wood again.
    Later guys
    Thanks

Hallz
    Hey Hallz, I'm in Sac. Never dealt with Bob. Does he have a dyno? Sometime this fall/winter I'll be buying a ZZ4 for the race boat and I want somebody to put it on a dyno to get my timing/jetting/cam break in etc squared away so there is less chance of me breaking something. Would he be a good guy to go to with this? I'm not a motor guy so I want to reduce the chance of me breaking anything as best I can-Aluminum Squirt
    Bob is a pritty strange guy, he has access to the one he uses but he usualy will only do that type of stuff (dyno) on the motors he builds and tunes for his very serious coustomers. From my understanding he is getting ready to retire and is spending his time being very maticulous and serious with his longtime coustomers. However if you have the time and are serious about building a motor he is one of (if not) the best I have ever seen and dealt with. Better than Rex, RSM, etc...
    You would probaly be better off with Ed Bogart for what you are looking to do.
    Good luck,

Aluminum Squirt
    Thanx for the info. I'll look up Ed. Works out well because I live in EG, at least for now-Aluminum Squirt

Hallz
    Beter than REX???? Yea sure dude, when you hold the name REX up to the mirror it spells GOD You'll get Bad GuGu talkin like that..................
    LOL,
    I have known Rex for a LONG time, He and my father use to race with each other for years! (he knows my father) "HE" is great! lol and "he" does great work. I have not been to the shop for a few years but from what I hear he has another "god" working with him now, so all the past "concerns" people had should be all gone.
    The bennifit of Bob is that the is the only one that does the work and his attention for detail is un canny. A bit of a perfectionist and controle freak (IMO) but that can be a good thing.
    We all have our opinions as to what Machinist/Builder we use and who we all feel is "the best". To me the problem is usualy not the Machinist but what happens after it is all laid out. People like to change the combo's parts and dam near everything else after the work has been done and or the motor built. Pore Rex had a bad rep for a bit, but from what I Know most of it was due in part to the situation above. People would get a motor from him, think they could make it better and change some things and Blow the motor or run sub-par #'s and run their mouth and plame his work.
    Talk to some of the local guys and Ask about Spartin Eng. devlopment, I am sure you'll hear 95% good things. He has a great list of refrences, John Shoemaker, Dick Bertolucci, Bonnie & Lee Roy Philson etc....
    LOL, it's all good I am in no way knocking Rex.
    As for my boat, Its a 73 Wriedt At the moment it is torn down :frown: to re due the Int, Pump, and awaiting droping in the re built 455. I am working on switching to a BBC but it will be 1-2 years probaly if I do. The 455 was built buy Don Turner at Anyweither Machine, The BBC will be done By Bob if and when he has the time.
    I would love to stop buy sometime and see your boat, I am just getting into the boat deal and need to learn all I can. Im alwase in the CH area. I don't know much at all so I figured no better way but to tear this one down and go through it. The car scene was my deal, now I am looking to find a new thrill so I can get my addrennalin fix!
    Mike

canuck1
    what are peoples thoughts on the new 383 crate small block?
    Great power, ran great untill it blew up
    PM me for more details

PC Rat
    I saw a thread not too long ago talking about a crate engine - saying they don't have the right exhaust valves or cam (too much overlap) for wet headers. I searched for the thread again and can't find it.

Duane HTP
    I've used several of those crate motors in jet boats, and have never had a problem with that.

throwerb
    If you take them out and run them hard, thay can seize up the pistons and break. The motors are set up awfully tight. Just need to limber them up a little before you stand on them. But, MAN, they DO RUN!
    How much break in time?

Taylorman
    Teague sells a 509 ci Merlin Marine Crate motor with 575 hp for $11000.
    I asked the guy at Teague the price of their NA 620 hp motor and he said $29000. WTF makes them so much more than other crate motors. Their is no way to justify that price.

TexasJet
    Taylorman, since your still doing research give Joe at Owens Racing Engines in Pearland Tx. a call. 281-485-5257. Tell him the guy with the 19' Baja jet boat recommended you call. He built my motor in '97 and it has been bullet proof. I was very happy with the price and quality of his work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast