Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crate Motor

Duane HTP
    I'll vouch for it being a really good motor too. I worked with it some.

pebo
    These don't look to bad. I have no experiance with them but, price looks interesting. :supp: http://www.smedingperformance.com/pe...ce_engines.htm

PC Rat
    I saw a thread not too long ago talking about a crate engine - saying they don't have the right exhaust valves or cam (too much overlap) for wet headers. I searched for the thread again and can't find it.
    I found it:
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49104

Taylorman
    These don't look to bad. I have no experiance with them but, price looks interesting. :supp: http://www.smedingperformance.com/pe...ce_engines.htm
    This is the exact engine i wanted to build. Has all the same features i wanted in an engine including the heads. Nice price for a marine engine. Anyone know anything about smeding performance?
    http://www.smedingperformance.com/im...540_marine.jpg

flat broke
    Teague sells a 509 ci Merlin Marine Crate motor with 575 hp for $11000.
    I asked the guy at Teague the price of their NA 620 hp motor and he said $29000. WTF makes them so much more than other crate motors. Their is no way to justify that price.
    Taylorman,
    The difference between those two motors, is one is basically a carb to pan deal, and the other is a complete with exhaust type setup. The real question you would want to ask the guys at Teague in regard to your project is, "whats the difference between your 575hp Merlin 509, and the one I can buy through Summit for 3k less?" I'm sure they would fax you a component list on "their" setup. Then compare it to the Merlin crate deal. My guess is that its the same motor, they just open up the piston to wall and valve guide clearances a touch, maybe add iconnel exhaust valves.
    Chris

Wet Dream
    Ok Taylorman,
    I'm following this thread. We've talked and there are a lot of open doors out there. The Smedling engines look promising. Prices wise, not a bad deal at all, add the carb and some tin to the motor you have a hell of a deal. I'm trying to figure go with the 540ci/520hp Marine for $8895, when you can go with the 540ci/590hp Extreme for $8495. Thay both run stainless valves. The Marine has the larger intakes, Inconnels, miniscule difference in the exhaust, and different cam profile. What gives?

Taylorman
    Ok Taylorman,
    I'm following this thread. We've talked and there are a lot of open doors out there. The Smedling engines look promising. Prices wise, not a bad deal at all, add the carb and some tin to the motor you have a hell of a deal. I'm trying to figure go with the 540ci/520hp Marine for $8895, when you can go with the 540ci/590hp Extreme for $8495. Thay both run stainless valves. The Marine has the larger intakes, Inconnels, miniscule difference in the exhaust, and different cam profile. What gives?
    I spoke to them yesterday for a while. This guy knew his stuff. He said the differences is mostly in the clearances. The marine engine runs looser piston wall, rod and main and valve guide clearances. Also different springs and a jet boat oil pan. The heads are also Edelbrock's MARINE heads with inconel exhaust valves. He also said the cam profile was marine specific, whatever that means. I asked him about the kind of parts they use and he said the crank and rods are Eagle and the pistons are SRP. This really looks like a nice engine.
    Im going to call him back and ask him a couple more questions today about using nitrous and the redline rpm of the engine.

PLACECRAFT20
    Even though its a marine motor. I dont see much horsepower difference in the marine 540 and chevy's 502/502. The chevy 502 is about $2000 cheaper with a warranty. Did this guy say if he warrantied his motors. It looks like for the 8k that the bill mitchell motor is the buy. It comes carb to oil pan with a warranty and makes more power. I do like the hydraulic roller cam in the smeding engine. What do you guys think?

Taylorman
    Even though its a marine motor. I dont see much horsepower difference in the marine 540 and chevy's 502/502. The chevy 502 is about $2000 cheaper with a warranty. Did this guy say if he warrantied his motors. It looks like for the 8k that the bill mitchell motor is the buy. It comes carb to oil pan with a warranty and makes more power. I do like the hydraulic roller cam in the smeding engine. What do you guys think?
    Im not sure that the ZZ502 would be warrantied if used in a boat. He told me there is no warranty on marine motors. I like to Hyd roller also. That accounts for a little increase in price due to the extra cost or a roller cam, but it does not have a carb. It does have a great set of heads.

Taylorman
    Im about to take the big plung. Im really leaning toward a Merlin 509ci 540 hp crate motor from Summit. They are $7500 plus $150 shipping. It was either a ZZ502 or the Merlin. The ZZ502 has oval port heads so i think i will go with the Merlin. They advertise that it comes already broken in. I know i will have to take it easy for a while to let it break in more but they say the cam is already broken in. I would like alum. heads and a hyd roller cam but i can live without them. What do you guys think? Im a little nervous about buying a street engine for my boat but a few very knowledgable guys posted that they have used them in boats with no problems. This will be a good platform for future upgrades.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast