Thread: 460 core, (AKA freeze) plugs

460Dave
    The six 1.5 inch brass core (freeze) plugs in my 460 were about .460" deep and I could not get a good outer diameter measurement as they were distorted from removal but were slightly over 1.50", they were Dorman part number P28C.
    Replacements from Jegs were also brass, Pioneer part number PC30B, but were thinner, .35" deep and larger 1.525" diameter. The holes in the block are measuring 1.495-1.497". This plug seems to be for overbored holes. I did not want to take a chance on cracking the block trying to hammer these in place.
    The brass plugs from NAPA were from Federal, part number 219-8133, PC133, and were even thinner, .30", and diameter was 1.507". This seems to be a better fit for the diameter but is not very deep.
    I have heard that for marine jet boat applications the deeper plug is better.
    What plug size, part number and source
    are other 460 owners using?
    NAPA recommended Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant for use on core plugs.

stacey
    I have a 1976 Checkmate w/460 and I've had nothing but trouble with those brass plugs.
    For years I've been running plain ole rubber freeze plugs and they work great!!!

mister460
    Using those rubber ones also allows you to rinse all the sand out of the block too!

badley1
    what does anybody think of these i may want to try them also
    Name: Ford 429-460 Screw In Freeze Plugs
    Description: This is a set of 6 Screw in Freeze Plugs for the Ford 429 and 460 Engine. Adds to block strength and rigidity and insures against sudden loss of coolant. Block must be threaded to use these items. Sold as new.
    Price: $25.00 / set of 6
    http://www.dscmotorsport.com/asp/Pro...asp?PartID=413

hack job
    all i have to say towards the screw in ones is good luck getting them out i have had some of those in other parts( manifolds , log, ect.) and it was a pain in the @ss if you know what i mean i like the brass ones never hada problem with them . i usally have them put in when i have the mototr out so i can pound away. lol . any ow the rubber ones sound cool . maybe look in to them. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

460Dave
    I finally found some Dorman deep dish brass freeze plugs at CAP. They measure 1.512" outer diameter. When installing these plugs I will use a socket that just fits inside of the plug and coat the plug and block with sealer. What I need to know is just how hard to you need hit the plug? The shallow dish 1.507" diameter plug starts to seat with a light blow while the 1.512" plug is not starting to seat with a slightly heavery blow. Do you really need a heavy hammer blow? Any chance of damaging the block? When I purchased this latest plug from CAP, they did not have a catalog to verify that this is indeed a 460 plug. The same with Auto Zone.

Hollis
    This may sound silly but, I'm having trouble locating the plugs on my 460..Where are they located?
    Thanks Ratso...But really
    [This message has been edited by Hollis (edited March 24, 2002).]

BBTAHITI
    When installing the freeze plugs, remember that driving it deeper than flush does no good. If you look at (and measure) freeze plugs, you'll notice they are tapered. The dimensions noted (1.495 bore and 1.525 dia of the plug) give you .030" compression to seal it to the block. I still do it the old school way....use form-a-gasket or elephant snot to help seal the plug (it also makes it compress easier by "lubricating" it as you drive it in).
    My .02
    BBT

ratso
    Hollis: You will know where they are when they start leaking.

jroos
    I`ve used sockets, pipe, and had a friend in machine shop mill me a solid steel punch. Its ok to wack the f outa them just don`t go too far in and always have the punch or socket perfectly flush with the plug. The permatex is fine. I`d go with RTV black.