Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Statement from Burnt

This is the idiot who isn't the sharpest pencil in the box. before you past judgment know the facts before passing judgement and right now you don't all facts. Some of you are purposely attempting to confuse all the readers about the what happened. Let me help straighten some of those facts out for all who want the truth.
    I am going to make a statement and answer to some of the things that have been said about me or regarding this event. It is not right for anyone to act as judge or jury without knowing exactly what the circumstances are, therefore I do no believe it to be wize for me to engage a Q & A session on this or any forum. I apologize for this inconvenience.
    First off, just remember this was a very traumatic experience for all who were on board. A 21 year old girl was burned and all of us came within seconds from loosing our lives. The two other individuals that were on board were going through the process of buying my boat and had given me a $5k deposit and had started the insurance process, however it was not complete, therefore at the time of the fire there was no insurance coverage. I do make it a practice to carry full coverage insurance on everything I own. My boat went into storage on my property under lock and key in a building made out of steel, I wasn't to concerned about anything happening to it in storage and nothing did for two years. Yes, I should have insured it upon it becoming operational and yes it would have been a good idea to verify with their insurance company that the boat was covered, but I didn't. Everyone on this forum has made mistakes before, most likely big ones that you regret and wish you could take back, but you can't. Why is basic human nature so cruel? Someone makes a mistake, and immediately everyone wants to find blame and make that person feel even worse.
    Prior to this event, my boat was not operational for two years due to two motors going bad in the first eight hours of operation in July of 02, a problem that was not mfgÂ’s fault.
    However, when this boat (Hull, Tanks and Interior) was finished in November of 01 and rigged in December of 01 it did not become operational until May of 02 at that time is when I discovered that I had a vapor lock problem, preventing me from putting fuel in my boat. I use the term vapor lock which could be incorrect but itÂ’s the term I chose for describing what happen
    Because Aftershock not only installed the fuel tanks but also paid WPM Racing to rig my boat, this problem was immediately addressed with Alex. I called Alex at the lake Elsinore Location I told him that I could not put fuel in my boat, that the fuel would just splash back in my face. I told him that because of the extreme angle of the inside fill pipe it was causing a vapor lock and maybe the best solution would be to move the fuel fills to a different location and fill in the old fuel fill holes, I told him I wanted to go boating this weekend. Alex, told me he was really busy and that he couldnÂ’t get to it right away. I said that I bought this boat from you, I should be able to put fuel in it. He reluctantly told me to bring the boat down to the shop the following day, to leave it and to pick it up the next day. I brought the boat down the following day and Alex and I went over what needed to be done. We both agreed that the existing fuel fill holes would be filled in and the new ones would be relocated to an area that would allow for easy fueling. The following day when I arrived the fuel fill holes were filled in but the new ones werenÂ’t. Alex told me he was very busy and was unable to cut in the new holes and actually told me to cut them in myself. I told Alex that I paid for a boat that is supposed to have fuel fills that work and that it was his responsibility to install them. Alex said it would have to be another day because he was simply to busy to do it. When I told him about boating that weekend he said, as a temporary fix I put them on your fuel tanks so you can go boating, I will be busy for the next few weeks so give me a call then and weÂ’ll get those fuel fills installed. It never happen. All I ever was able to do was leave messages.
    With regards to WPM Racing, it was Alex (Aftershock) who delivered my boat to WPM with a WPM Trailer that Alex borrowed. It was Alex who supplied WPM with all the rigging parts and it was Alex who paid WPM to rig my boat and it was Alex who picked my boat up. WPM rigged my boat with professionalism and quality. WPM did installed my fuel fills only where Alex had instructed them too. However, if the tanks had been constructed differently, where the holes were cut would have been fine. My boat was not the normal no frills rigging, it was rigged with the best Gaffrig Stainless steel hardware, Gaffrig Monster gauges, Gaffrig offshore shifter, two high performance fuel pumps, Imco fuel selector switch, S/S Sea strainer, EMI offshore battery boxes, remote control motor hatch, WPM Twin Ram Steering, Mercury K-Planes, Gimble housing and Bravo 1 Performance Drive, all parts totaling over $12,000.00 not including Gimble and Drive The rigging was done very clean and better than most Aftershocks are rigged today. It was a friend of mine who told me to have WPM Racing rig my boat and it was that same friend that told me to have all the work done through Aftershock so they would be responsible if anything went wrong. I have all the cancelled checks, receipts, invoices, work orders and pictures that prove who did what. The rigging wasnÂ’t the problem, the fuel tanks were what caused the vapor lock problem because of poor construction. Alex, didnÂ’t put much time into the design of the fuel tanks, thatÂ’s for sure, at least back than.
    On Thursday September 16th, I spoke with a guy that stopped by, that owns a 2003 27 Violator Cat, a boat that is only one year newer than mine. His fuel tanks are located in the center sponsons with huge Nascar fuel fills that pour straight down. Why did Aftershock redesign their fuel system? Could it be that there were too many problems with the old one. Did Aftershock contact all the prior customers that had the old fuel tanks and fuel fills? No! Did they have a responsibility to recall all the boats built with that particular fuel system? Yes! Is Aftershock guilty of having extremely poor customer relations? Yes!
    The final straw was when a couple came by who bought Aftershocks demo boat, the vary one that I first rode in with Jeff Ferber, (Majority Owner of Aftershock Boats) the vary one that when we went to a gas station, Jeff Ferber knew about the problem because he whipped out a screwdriver and opened the motor hatch, unscrewed the clamp that secures the fill hose on top of the fuel tank and proceeded to fill that tank from inside the motor compartment which after filling one tank we went to Lake Elsinore for a demo ride.
    Many of you that came by, I stated that AftershockÂ’s own demo boat had the same vapor lock problem. Well this couple confirmed my suspicions by verifying that they too had a vapor lock problem and asked Aftershock to fix it and was also told they were too busy. They too went for a demo ride and Jeff Ferber once again whipped out a screwdriver to remove the rubber fuel hose to fill the tank. How many other customers have experienced this type of irresponsible behavior. This boat owner did not wait for Aftershock to call him, he paid to have new tanks and new fuel fills installed and this is fact. I currently have his information and he has told me that he would provide to me a written statement that will verify what I have stated. How many other customers that purchased an Aftershock boat or didnÂ’t but went for a demo ride witnessed this unsafe, irresponsible behavior, I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who had a similar experience.
    For anyone who is a beginner boater or is not familiar with USCG Regs, and witnesses the owner of a Boat Manufacturing Company filling one of their own boats in manner it has been explained, why would I or anyone else for that matter assume it to be unsafe or wrong to continue filling a boat purchased by the company that basically taught me how to do it.
    After having bad luck with two motors, in July of 02 my boat went into storage for almost two years. In May of 04 I started making moves to put a new motor in my boat to sell it. The first thing I did was contact Alex to pick up my motor hatch that had been at the Aftershock Factory for about a year. When I went to pick it up I addressed the fuel fills, I was told that the vapor lock problem had been corrected. I asked if they could send me two of their new fill pipes, they said they would I never received them. At the end of July 04 my boat was operational and up for sale
    This was my first NEW boat and I was not aware of all the USCG Codes that a boat Manufacturer must follow. Had I known this problem was illegal, I would have fixed it, I looked at the problem as more of an inconvenience of having to go through a similar process that Jeff Ferber showed me.
    Had the holes been cut like they were supposed to, I would still have my boat today, bottom line. In addition to failing to install new fuel fills, Alex has never in the time that I have known him, returned a phone call. I have always had to catch Alex off guard, either showing up un-announced or having someone other than myself call and ask for him. That is wrong in so many ways, to not provide any form of customer service to an existing customer.
    Alex would like everyone to think that all I purchased was a bare hull which is not the case. If purchasing a Hull, tanks and Interior with a extreme trailer and upgraded gelcoat graphics and rigged at WPM Racing in Corona, a bare hull than thatÂ’s what it was. Also it is important for all to know that people like Dennis, Paul or any other person who is not Hispanic, did not even work for Alex at the time my boat was built, therefore everyone who has obtained intel from Paul or Dennis is only repeating what Alex has fabricated. Only Alex and his wife worked at the Elsinore location, all his employeeÂ’s donÂ’t even speak English.
    From the time I purchased this boat until the time it blew up, I have been deprived of any type of customer service support. Alex has a responsibility to produce USCG safe boats. According to the NMMA a boat manufacturer cannot, I repeat, cannot release a boat into the possession of a customer if it doesnÂ’t meet USCG standards. When Alex filled my fuel fill holes it was his responsibility as a manufacturer to complete the job, he didnÂ’t. Alex had a responsibility to make sure there were fuel fills installed, prior to leaving his factory, he didnÂ’t. That makes Aftershock liable for my boat catching fire, end of story.
    (To those of you that have been wondering why I havenÂ’t answered to this forum)
    I do not subscribe to this type of entertainment. I had to subscribe and wait for activation, also I live SD and had no access to a computer until I came home on Sunday and Monday I was activated. That is why I havenÂ’t responded. Fare enough!
    (To those of you who supported me in the beginning but now are either confused or donÂ’t support me any longer) I hope after reading my statement I will regain your support ei; rivertoysjas etcÂ… I am also mature enough to apologize for calling subscribers names. I hope you can understand that what everyone has been saying that is negative angered me and without being able to respond due to not having access (waiting for activation) can be frustrating. You are all right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    My bad!
    (To those of you who have spoken with Dennis, Paul, Jeff or Alex)
    Believe what you want, in the end the truth will come out.
    (To those of you who called me an idiot)
    Maybe IÂ’m an idiot for learning this unsafe procedure from Jeff Ferber, Majority Owner of Aftershock Boats. And maybe IÂ’m an idiot for not verifying that the new owners insurance was activated. However everyone is human and makes mistakes, this does not make me a bad person, nor have I broken any laws and the boat was never registered due to engine problems during brake in hours, therefore it wasnÂ’t necessary to register my boat if my plan was to store it til further notice. As long as a boat is not registered from the beginning, it is my understanding that the boat remains new, and can be sold as new through a dealer. (New Demo Boat)
    (To Elvis, who thinks IÂ’m not the sharpest pencil in the box)
    I am a former Military Police Officer, have a degree in business and finance and retired at 40, and yes 4619884 was my former business Capital West Investments and is a nonworking number. I donÂ’t claim to be Mr. Expert Boater or for that matter, mechanically incline, I am only someone who bought a boat not knowing everything. If that makes me a dull pencil then so be it!
    (To those of you who want to know why I didnÂ’t have insurance)
    First of all it is not required by the Coast Guard or the state of California to have boating insurance. However, it is required by the finance companies to hold full coverage insurance for those of you who decided to finance your boat. I own my boat outright, while in storage I was not required to have insurance. When it became operational the boat was sold immediately and insurance was being obtained by the new owners but at the time of the fire the boat was not covered.
    (To those of you who think the rigger is at fault)
    WPM did nothing wrong. Aftershock doesnÂ’t even come close to WPMÂ’s rigging.
    (To those of you who want to know, who put what where?)
    Alex told me, Wednesday September 15th, at his factory location, when I went there to catch him off guard, all he remembers is I told him to fill the holes, that I never mentioned the vapor lock problem. Why would I ask a manufacturer to fill in fuel fill holes without telling them that itÂ’s their fault I canÂ’t fuel my boat up? He denies that he put the fuel fills on top of the fuel tanks as a temporary fix until a new location could be done. Alex, knew I wanted to go boating that weekend and based on their own irresponsible acts, is it a surprise that Alex put the fuel fills on top of the tanks.
    I hope this answers most everyoneÂ’s questions and puts to rest who did what.
    My protest was not to maliciously hurt Aftershock but it was a wakeup call for them to take responsibility for their actions and for every boat that they sell, they should assume that the buyer knows nothing about boating safety or what to do in the event of an emergency, by educating each and every customer as to the dangers and risks of owning a boat.
    In closing, to the individuals that tried their hardest to damage my story by manipulating the facts, itÂ’s ok, now you know the truth.
    Aftershock Boats and West Coast Tooling will be served with a Lawsuit in the coming weeks for their role in this tragedy and a California Court will decide who is at fault.
    Once again, it was not my intention to insult anyone and it was never my intention to cause so much controversy. Due to recent information I will most likely discontinue my protest against Aftershock until such time that they have been served, at such time I may choose to restart my activity in Corona.
    Thank you for listening.

Mandelon
    There are other Aftershocks out there with fuel fills that don't work?
    I know I have to angle the gas nozzle just right or it can spill out on my boat. Sometimes I have to set the nozzle half way to keep it from going in faster than it can run down the filler neck.
    But relocating them to the engine compartment...?

Riverhound
    Good Luck! Should you prevail I hope it sends a message to some of the other manufacturers who think about cutting corners.

shadow
    Old Ladies at a bingo fest?
    At least these old ladies are smart enough to carry insurance,Required or not,paid for or not.
    Then to think that potential buyers are gonna get insured to cover your boat?
    Not!
    Correct me if I'm wrong but your buyers gave you a deposit?Can't register a boat on a deposit.Therefore can't insure it.
    Was it thier responsibility if any type of accident occured or the registered /insured owners responsibility.
    Oh thats right it wasn't registered(not Aftershocks responsibility)thats right it wasn't insured either(not Aftershocks responsibility)
    By the way I've got a friend with an Aftershock same model as your crispy cat and he has no problems filling up.

Southwnd
    If this boat was purchased in Corona, then Jurisdiction for a civil suit would be Riverside County. Since they operate a website in which all cases can be accessed by the public, we can all keep watch. Since your comments to various people have been posted on this public domain, and it seems you have been contradictory in these statements...good luck.. it's all admissible. So, let us all wait and watch and see if there is even a filing in this 'case'.
    http://www.courts.co.riverside.ca.us/pubacc.htm

MagicMtnDan
    By the way I've got a friend with an Aftershock same model as your crispy cat and he has no problems filling up.
    Three words:
    Aftershock makes boats?
    Two words:
    "Crispy Cat" - that's a funny one!
    One word:
    Insurance - "Coverage by a contract binding a party to indemnify another against specified loss in return for premiums paid." :hammerhea
    Do you have any other insurance like insurance on that giant truck of yours? What if you monster truck some poor old lady and turn her into roadkill? You gotta have insurance on that, right?
    Do you have insurance on your home? What if a tree falls across the power line and your house catches on fire? You gotta have insurance on that, right?
    What if you're out on the lake with people who want to buy your boat and suddenly your boat explodes and the flames engulf your boat? You gotta have insurance on that, right?
    I won't even dive into your he said, they said stuff in your post. That's for the courts to decide.

Waldo
    I posted this on the thread "Profits vs. Safety" too.
    For anyone who is a beginner boater or is not familiar with USCG Regs, and witnesses the owner of a Boat Manufacturing Company filling one of their own boats in manner it has been explained, why would I or anyone else for that matter assume it to be unsafe or wrong to continue filling a boat purchased by the company that basically taught me how to do it.
    (To Elvis, who thinks IÂ’m not the sharpest pencil in the box)
    I am a former Military Police Officer, have a degree in business and finance and retired at 40, and yes 4619884 was my former business Capital West Investments and is a nonworking number. I donÂ’t claim to be Mr. Expert Boater or for that matter, mechanically incline, I am only someone who bought a boat not knowing everything. If that makes me a dull pencil then so be it!
    (To those of you who want to know why I didnÂ’t have insurance)
    First of all it is not required by the Coast Guard or the state of California to have boating insurance. However, it is required by the finance companies to hold full coverage insurance for those of you who canÂ’t afford to purchase a boat outright like I did. Remember I retired at 40 and because I own my boat outright, while in storage I was not required to have insurance. When it became operational the boat was sold immediately and insurance was being obtained by the new owners but at the time of the fire the boat was not covered.
    At first you sound niave yet you were smart enough to retire at age40??? I feel you should have read the manual and had insurance...I'm sure you do for other things even though they are required (homeowner, car, etc.).
    The same principles apply. What if your boat was stolen in storage??? Could you afford to chuck the amount you "paid cash"? Why not do the same now??? BTW - the boat WASN'T SOLD, otherwise you wouldn't be pulling this stuff now. The potential buyer's insurance would be coming after you I'm sure.
    Sounds like you are playing the "ignorant card" to me and you got caught with your pants down. If I sound a little agitated, I am. I am a hard working man that provides for my family. I have insurance for everything and never use it. I feel "the system" gets abused by people like you and we, the hard working and ever paying average joe, gets reemed by the rising costs of insurance (caused by - everybody owes me, not my fault, money hungry, daddy didn't love me, dingleberries!).
    This has been my opinion, and my opinion only!
    BTW - My Carrera was built before Aftershock bought them so I am not bias.

ELVIS
    DULL PENCIL, your lucky your not ERASED !!!!!!!!
    You told me that the fire was caused by fumes, that were in the engine compartment because YOU spilled fuel while filling up. You don't have to be any kind of expert to know what thats going to do ?
    I don't know what story to belive, but come on man INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Kilrtoy
    WOW, that was deep.
    keep us updated on this please

racecar.hotshoe
    Sorry dude but heres how I see it.Im not a former MPO and I do not have a degree in business, but I do have a master in commonsense witch would tell me not to take a unsafe boat out period.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast