Thread: How much OIL do you use?

grimreaper
    .....I got a wet sump system here that the pan has a capacity of about 14 quarts. Seems a little much ..... what do you guyz think?

grimreaper
    Whaaaaat ????? sleeping ...... no one use any oil in their pans ?????? eek! ......
    I measured the capacity of that pan - using the baffles to the best advantage......16 quarts.
    It also has a huge kick-out that has to be filled tooo...........

wsuwrhr
    I always say in a boat, the more oil the better. I run a 10 quart in my Dodge. Oil stays right on target for temp.
    Brian

One problem with running less than the recommended amount of oil capacity in any pan is oil level. On a hard long run in a boat engine, alot of oil can end up "in transit" it the upper part of the engine. Typically then the driver will pull a hard deceleration or turn and guess what, the remaining oil in the pan leaves the pickup area and the "in transit" oil isn't available. This is also why proper oil baffeling around the pickup is so critical. if you run a 10 quart pan for example only with 6-7 quarts to prevent windage power loss you do run the risk of oil starvation in the above descriped conditions. Seen it happen. It's less critical with a pan of higher capacity like 14 because only a given # of quarts can remain in transit in the upper end. I still don't recommend running under pan capacity. All it does is lower your level providing less oil around the pickup and reducing cooling capacity.
    Drag race sceanario is a little different, what I'm referring to above is lake boat use where you're going to run the boat hard for awhile, turn, decelerate hard, etc. 1/4 mile straight line is a little different sceanario. Just my 06.5 wink
    [ June 08, 2003, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

wsuwrhr
    I agree with Mike. Run a full length windage tray,
    and you won't have a problem.
    Brian