Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats a good carb?.....

ahhell
    i need to replace my rochester Q-jet just cuz it sucks...whats a good replacement for a 454 ??? I was thinking Holley 750?!?! Im not a Wrench, but I can replace a carb :220v:
    taking any comments and/or .02 cents

BOOGEYMAN
    what hp level are you at and what rpm do you spin it?

502 JET
    A 750 holley would be a good choice for a 454.Depending on what you are doing with the engine wether to go with mechanical or vaccume secondaries.

ahhell
    its a stock marine power 454, I keep it between 3500-5000 RPM. I just hate the BIG hesitation when I put my foot in it...yep, she's a jet

GofastRacer
    its a stock marine power 454, I keep it between 3500-5000 RPM. I just hate the BIG hesitation when I put my foot in it...yep, she's a jet
    Squirters are too small, drill them out one size at a time until the stumble goes away!..

GofastRacer
    Whoops, I take it you're talking about the Qudrajunk, just move the pump linkage out one hole!.. A Holley 750 would be a lot better though!..

502 JET
    Go with a 750 holley with mechanical secondaries.Your hesitation will go away and dont be suprised if you gain a couple of mph.

jmherbert
    Go with a 750 holley with mechanical secondaries.Your hesitation will go away and dont be suprised if you gain a couple of mph.
    Ed Zachary

SmokinLowriderSS
    I've been running a Holley a long time, and it's been perfect. A few rebuilds (cleanings) because of never running Sta-bil in it untill the boat became mine (dads for 25 years). I'm running a 700 CFM mech seccondary atop my 454 (list 4778 if I remember right), but the 750 should be fine as well, I wouldn't go any bigger without hopping the motor to use it, you'll just burn more gas. My throttle response is instantaneous and smooth, and great power. My mech. seccondary, I am running the small accel pump on the primaries and the big one on the seccondaries, stock shooters whatever those are, I don't know, but they work great. If you are not in for the all-up power, or find a 800 or larger vac seccondary on a good deal, then the vac secc is just fine. If you want max performance, go mech. Not a huge performance difference tho IMO.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Mashed potatoes or pasta are pretty good carbs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast