Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: oil cooler pix needed

572Daytona
    Brent and project-speed. The block is a 572ci Bowtie talldeck. I don't know how much hp,I'm hoping to get the motor dynoed which is one of the reasons it is at the shop.

project-speed
    Perma-cool? ok i checked them out http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page03.html and is it possible that the oil can run too cool? theres no picture of the cooler. so we dont know how much room it will take up.

project-speed
    I have a oil cooler. I was wondering what the perma cool device looked like. Thats a nice site.

racingrascal
    Originally posted by SPECTRABRENT:
    Project-Speed, you may want to look into a Dan Olsen oil cooler that mounts to the engine block. THey are more money, but after you buy the cooler, brackets, & braided lines and fittings it most likely comes out the same.
    572, what engine block are you running Merlin or Bowtie (short DEck or Tall Deck)?
    Brent
    That is the same one I am getting ready to do on my boat, Dave at DNE is said it is the best one he has used in most boats. He is doing the instal also.
    Andy

racingrascal
    Originally posted by HBjet:
    Your right, it sure does look good for a Ford But it is not mine.....just a photo I saw in the Media Center.
    HBjet
    Doesn't look that good..............

HBjet
    Originally posted by racingrascal:
    Doesn't look that good..............
    RR, notice that shiny manifold under the blower and chiller? Hmmm, wouldn't you like one of those? I will say, it's one of the best damn ford motor's I've seen.
    HBjet

racingrascal
    Originally posted by HBjet:
    RR, notice that shiny manifold under the blower and chiller? Hmmm, wouldn't you like one of those? I will say, it's one of the best damn ford motor's I've seen.
    HBjet
    Go back to eating your bon bons and stop looking at ford motors........ HBhalfpolishedmotorjet.

LVjetboy
    Hi Project,
    Here's a picture of the remote oil thermostat from Perma-cool:
    http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page14.html
    Available from Jeg's for $40:
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...058&prmenbr=76
    I don't think it takes up much room. Something I'm considering.
    Possible for oil to run too cool? I think so...but just a guess...no big deal. Testing this theory is understandably difficult. So opinions vary.
    But consider that some oil contaminants need temperature to cook off. Also, oil likes the right viscosity (a function of temperature even for dual-viscosity oils) to flow to all bearing surfaces...not cheating the ones at the extreme end of the oil gallery for example.
    Running on lakes in Washington is cooler than boating in Nevada. And if you do a lot of start/stop boating like me, oil may be slow warming to best temp without a thermostat.
    Of course, these are just some ideas, certainly not intended as views of an expert in engines or racing in any shape or fashion. Just ideas from a newbie...
    jer

Banshee
    I really like the thermostat idea used in conjunction with an oil cooler. One question about all this. It seems that using a cooler with a remote filter arrangement is the way (maybe the only way) to go. Would the correct plumbing order then be as follows: oil comes out of motor to the thermostat if used, then into the cooler, then into the filter before going back into the motor? I would think that going thru the filter last, just before going back into the motor would be the best way since the filter will catch anything foreign that was picked up along the way. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast