Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley pics

1000mhz
    Can anybody post some pics of a "set back" berk pump. I am thinking of relocating mine while I have the boat gutted and want to see how it looks. Im wondering how the transom seal works when the bowl is all the way out of the hull.
    any links would help too.........
    "ADM sucks"

wrightnow
    To switch to a set back pump will require removing and re-installing the shoe. A properly set-up ride plate and doop most likely will give you what your looking.
    As for a transom plate they make one that is deeper or make your own. This is what I did.
    [This message has been edited by wrightnow (edited September 22, 2001).]

riodog
    1000 mhz, for pictures look in the classifieds, about 1/4 of the page down and you'll find an ad for my 19 ft daytona. Go to the third set of pictures ( Eliminator borrows the boat for their catalog), and you can see the jet. This berk is set-back so that the entire bowl and inspection/ handhole is completely on the outside of the transom.
    When the pump is setup this way we do not use a transom seal. To do what you want to do you must, 1. remove and remount the intake in the bottom of the boat to the rear.(includes fixing the floor from where the intake was before). 2. cutting the transom to fit the new shape of the part of the pump that's at the transom. 3. cut/machine a "transom plate"( can be 1 piece or 2 pieces) that fits around the part of the pump at the point where it passes thru the transom. It is then assembled using silicone sealant around the pump and transom plate.
    Can be quite a bit of expense, YOU must decide if it's really worth it and if it's going to "get" you anything.
    PS. don't forget, you'll need a driveshaft, also lengthen steering and control cables, waterline, etc.

riodog
    Hey Mark, you beat me to it! You gonna make it to the bash this next weekend? Spoke to Bill today and if he doesn't get his impeller by Tues gonna see about borrowing one for him. Which day you leaving on? I might need directions cause I lost my map.
    Michael
    the dog

wrightnow
    riodog wouldn't miss it, I'm leaving friday right from work. I'm always up for a party nad this weekend I will be without the family, let the good times roll.... I mean I already miss my wife.
    How about you, whats your plan?

phillyray
    1000mhz, I've been thinking the same thing on my 21 Daytona, my pump is not set-back...the bolts for the bowl are just inside the transom.I tallked to Jack from MPD. He said if I did set it back to leave at least 1 1/2 to 2" of hull under the boat (this greatly keeps the strength,integrity) of the hull! MPD has a neet transom plate,mounts outside but curves into the boat which allowes access to the clean out. My biggest broblem would be to properly address the new hole in front of the intake...there's a lot of water pressure on that part of the hull,especially when comming up to plane.If I felt 100 percent about that repair...I'ed move the pump back. There's no local boat shop's around here I could trust. P.S. If the pump went back so would the motor!!1 every inch in a boat is prime real estate!
    [This message has been edited by phillyray (edited September 24, 2001).]

wrightnow
    Just because you move the pump back, I would not move the engine back also. As your HP grows to need to start moving the motor forward.

1000mhz
    Thanks Philly,
    I also talked with Jack. He's the man!
    The repair seems a little bit of a challenge but not a threat. Im somewhat cozy with glass work so im ready for that end. The part I dont get is the 1 1/2 to 2" for hull strength. So do you mean 2" from the transom? Some of those pics above (thanks Blown509Liberator) definately dont have that kind of clearance. But maybe im confused on the measurement. Jack also suggested just moving the BBC back a bit!
    thanks again.........

phillyray
    1000mhz, the photos above are exactly what Jack (the man) was talking to me about.Although those pomps are set back, if ya look caerfully there's still about an inch or so under the pump at the transom as well as the hull,(underside). This setup puts the hand hole in the center of the transome but keeps the new intake location just inside the boat!...now some plates (bottom pics) make that clean out unuasable, but the top photo show's the curved in transom adapter.Also a good pic on MPD's site! Jack more or less said the pumps hanging way out the back are for all out race application, thats were the bottom of the hull and transom is cut out.That weakens the rear of the boat some and causes problem water leaks.In my Daytona, it looks like the pump will have to go back about 4" Thats what I'll see above, and moveing the power plant back also, will do no harm. More space for leg room. So tell me about your repair idea's....the bottom of a Daytona's not flat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast