Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley pics

Blown509Liberator
    1000MHZ
    What Phillyray is saying atthe bottom of the transom dont cut the wood just back the pump up to it. Leaving it one piece at the bottom gives it more strength and resist flexing. also The top plate is jacks plate very cool set up. not the hand hole is still useable.
    MikeW

wrightnow
    Hey guys clear somthing up for me. Why are you moving the pump back, for more room in the boat? This seems to be a lot of work for such a small amount of room.
    But if your doing it for performance, then this is a differance game. As you know the reason for moving the pump back adding a ride plate is to help free up the boat. But as you add HP you will need to start moving the motor forward. You want the motor to drive the boat forward and reduce bow rise.
    In your daytona were you running a drive shaft or just the u-joints? I would be willing to bet you didn't have the motor all the way back with that much hp (nice boat though).
    Am I wrong in my thoughts

phillyray
    Wrightnow, I agree this project for me would be a major endeavor to say the least. As far as gains...well the extra room in the boat would just be a +. As far a performance gains,I feel that would be another + adding the shoe and rideplate. Not to mention the convevience of getting the bowl off without that damm transom adapter! Easer to try different impellers and the such.My boat dose not use a drive shaft,just 2 u-joints,3 point mount bell housing,with a top mount starter.I would back the motor up 4" thats the easy part!One last note....living in the East Coast(Philly area) its not like I could sell my 21 Daytona and just fall into another one that's already setup. These things are a rare find out here.So the money should be spent on this one.

wrightnow
    21 Daytona is a great hull and one worth spending money on. While you have the shoe out have it machined for the ride plate. If you have an idea about how much HP your running call greg at GS or R&D (***boats new jettech) about far forward should the motor be for your HP. Has for the transome plate I made mine also. I made a cardboard template, bought some 1/8 alum., cut it ut with a jig saw, very easy and save me alot of money.
    By the Bruce Herald Jr. of R&D just set a new world speed and E.T. record for blown jet this weekend at NJBS (not sure of the number, over 140mph)

flat broke
    Just a thought, but why not leave the motor in place and install a whirl-a-way in the space you gain in the driveline. If you are going to be running big numbers, rapid deceleration could cause a lack of control. Not to mention, you could run on the trailer without hurting the pump.
    Chris

wrightnow
    The problem with a whirl-a-way is it get very hot, very quickly. It designed for racing only not pleasure boating.

1000mhz
    well I guess in a way I figured, performance wise, that setting back the pump would basically move the water line back thus taking more boat out of the water. The key here is to get these things out of the water(to an extent of course)as much as possible, creating less drag, right?? This in combo with a ride plate seems to be that key. I see this combo on every boat that beats me at the river. It cant just be for room. I never got into deep discussion about exactly how much performance you get, but I plan to do a lot of work over this winter and want to take advantage of each and every MPH possible (especialy the free one's). Now Im already blueprinting my hulls underside, It just seem'd that this would be convienant to do since I will have this thing apart anyway.
    If im not gonna get some good results or if anybody feels this job is just not worth it, let me know. Im not here to argue, I use this forum for debate and good advice so speak up.
    thanks again
    Philly Im going to lay up the whole rear of the boat. Im not happy with the way Taylor desighned there hulls as far as the stringers (not glassed to the transom) and the solidness along the motor mounts. My repair idea is basically to slap that shit all over the place so just do some reading on the net and you will be a pro in about 10 min. make sure you do some extra good prep and you will be fine. Oh, and dont be scared!
    hee hee

wrightnow
    Performance wise moving the pump back and adding a ride plate is to create more riding surface behind be boat. Your right about freeing up the boat less drag. But if your balance is off (moving the motor to far back) this will create proposing and then you will have to push the nose down to correct it and in turn wetting more of the boat. The key is to find someone with a 21' daytona that is working great and get their spec. to get a starting place.
    Also make sure you make the back edge of you boat as sharp as possible. This creates less drag when the water exit from under the boat.
    100mhz I agree with you that I'm just voicing what I have learned and what has worked for me, I by no means an expert.

riodog
    If anyone has any questions about setback pumps, motors, etc., call Greg, Jack, or Tom papp.
    I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, BUT, If anyone has been reading the "Disappointed Boater", Omega, ADM, threads then you can see what I personally received from R&D Marine! Headaches, grief, procrastination, total bullshit. I put up with Harold's "crap" for 4 months a few years back and I don't wish that on anyone. I have already contacted Kevin and Brett on this issue and depending upon what they have to say, I will be MORE THAN HAPPY to reveal anything and EVERYTHING about my dealings with our new and hopefully "X" jet tech writer. I don't intend to make this into a "Marine 001" type bashing thread however I would suggest that if anyone has any thoughts of giving R&D Marine any of your business, you first contact any reputable boat shop and ask if they have ever heard of Harold Bruce.
    If anyone (including Harold ) has a problem with what I've posted be advised that I can back up everything.
    M.W.Fulton
    RIODOG
    Food For Thought: just because someone can make their boat go fast is no indication of how they are going to treat you as a customer!

1000mhz
    Amen Riodog, I got butt slammed by ADM boatworks a while back, and have definately learned my lesson the $hard$ way.
    Does anybody have anything to add to this thread as far as performance increase (mph) gains from setting back the pump??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast